China arrests gang over sale of Apple users’ private data
Published : 10 Jun 2017, 13:39
Chinese authorities say they have uncovered a massive underground operation involving the sale of Apple users' personal data.
Twenty-two people have been detained on suspicion of infringing individuals' privacy and illegally obtaining their digital personal information, according to a statement Wednesday from police in southern Zhejiang province.
Of the 22 suspects, 20 were employees of an Apple "domestic direct sales company and outsourcing company".
The suspects allegedly used an internal company computer system to gather users' names, phone numbers, Apple IDs, and other data, which they sold as part of a scam worth more than 50 million yuan ($7.36 million).
The statement referred to "domestic employees of Apple" but it was unclear whether they were directly employed by the company or by Apple suppliers or vendors. It also did not specify whether the data belonged to Chinese or foreign Apple customers.
An Apple spokesman declined to comment on the matter. The local police did not respond to requests for comment.
Following months of investigation, the statement said, police across more than four provinces Guangdong, Jiangsu, Zhejiang, and Fujian apprehended the suspects over the weekend, seizing their "criminal tools" and dismantling their online network.
The suspects allegedly charged between 10 yuan ($1.50) and 180 yuan ($26.50) for pieces of the illegally extracted data.
The sale of personal information is common in China, which implemented on June 1 a controversial new cybersecurity law aimed at protecting the country's networks and private user information.
In December, an investigation by the Southern Metropolis Daily newspaper exposed a black market for private data gathered from police and government databases.
Reporters successfully obtained a trove of material on one colleague including flight history, hotel checkouts and property holdings in exchange for a payment of 700 yuan ($100).
- Most viewed
- Amaranth Walnut Salad Recipe
- Teenager held for ‘raping’ Sunamganj minor girl
- Power generation sets new record; crosses 10,000 MW
- Woman found dead in Narsingdi
- 2 years of Tonu murder: Protesters demand justice
- Bangladesh's graduation to developing country a slap to critics: PM
- 16-year-old Mitu first Bangladeshi girl to cross Bangla Channel
- Profile: Bangadeshis killed in US-Bangla plane crash
- 20 March Deaths
- FBHRO starts its journey
- Govt declares mourning day today
- Jacqueline Fernandez gets into Madhuri Dixit mode
- Schoolgirl stabbed in Chapainawabganj
- First injured Bangladeshi victim of Nepal plane crash brought to Dhaka
- Bangabandhu's 99th birthday being celebrated
- Tasmania elects majority of women in Australia state first
- Checking early marriage to protect kids from malnutrition: Dr Shirin
- Barbecued Lamb with Mashed Potatoes Recipe