Nearly half of women on social media are sexually victimised
Published : 15 Jul 2017, 15:17
Almost half the women who use social media experience sexual victimisation - such as being asked to share intimate pictures of themselves or receiving unsolicited sexual images, a study has found.
Researchers from the University of Huddersfield in the UK conducted an anonymous online survey about online experiences of female users on social media.
The most frequent experience was being asked to share sexual images of themselves, followed by receiving unsolicited sexual images and requests to talk about sex.
Of those questioned 41 per cent had experienced threatening behaviour online, the most common being receiving offensive messages, 38 per cent had experienced humiliating contact and 15 per cent had experienced sexual, threatening or humiliating contact.
Some participants admitted being perpetrators of cyberviolence, with 13 per cent admitting to sexual behaviour and 12 per cent admitting to threatening and humiliating behaviours.
The research also revealed that as a result of cyberviolence women reported negative feelings about themselves and perpetrators, women also developed coping strategies to manage such negative contact which include the use of humour and defiance, as well as minimising behaviour and reporting indifference.
“These results suggest that cyberviolence via social media is a problem for female social media users, across various social media platforms and has lasting offline consequences,” said Megan Kenny from University of Huddersfield.
“If you are a victim of this kind of behaviour document everything using screenshots, making note of dates and report the individual to the platform in the first instance,” said Kenny.
“If you believe you are at serious risk of harm, ensure you have documented as much as possible and contact the police,” she said.
- Most viewed
- Weekend special: Healthy Spring Rolls
- Antibiotic resistance genes in air pose threat to human health: Study
- No need to react to marriage rumours
- Sheikh Hasina to inaugurate 23 bridges, Fatehpur Railway Overpass
- Williams rebounds from worst loss to advance in Cincy tennis
- BD beat Nepal 3-0 to emerge group top in SAFF U-15 Women’s championship
- Omarosa’s White House recordings fuel Trump woes
- 14 August Events
- 14 August Births
- Did you know Salman was the first choice to play Aishwarya’s brother in Josh?
- 9 August Events
- PM visits hospital to see Sechchasebak League leader and four injured students
- Love for ex boyfriend!
- Bangladeshi students encouraged to consider education in Australia
- My mother had capacity to take any decision: Prime Minister
- Govt working to strengthen democracy: Prime Minister
- 8 August Events
- Migrant boat sinks off Turkey killing 7 children, 2 women