Google to build 7-inch smart screen, titled “Manhattan”
Published : 29 Sep 2017, 15:50
In a bid to keep up with the growing smart home market, Google is building a tabletop smart screen code-named “Manhattan”, similar to Amazon’s “Echo Show”. The device will offer YouTube, Google Assistant, Google Photos, video calling and also act as a smart hub that can control “Nest” and other smart home devices, Tech Crunch quoted industry sources as saying on Friday.
The device will come with a 7-inch screen and run a version of Android, which will make it easier for third-parties to build apps for it.
It may also include Netflix, the report said.
The original target launch date of the device was mid-2018, but due to the “Echo Show” there was intense pressure on the company to get it launched in 2017. However, it still may end up releasing in 2018.
Recently, Google chose to remove YouTube from Amazon’s “Echo Show” citing violation of its terms of service. “Google has chosen to no longer make YouTube available on Echo Show, without explanation and without notification to customers.
There is no technical reason for that decision,” The Verge quoted Amazon as saying.
Google in response said: “Amazon’s implementation of YouTube on the Echo Show violates our terms of service, creating a broken user experience.”
- Most viewed
- Hillary Clinton out of politics, star of GOP midterm plan
- ‘A Quiet Place’ rules US box office
- US envoy: Trump leads on N. Korea as G7 ministers meet
- PM returns home from London
- 23 April Events
- 23 April Deaths
- 23 April Births
- Saudi women's fitness centre shut over 'indecent' video
- Teenage girl loses leg in Banani road accident
- Bollywood celebs protest to seek justice for rape victims
- 1st female BD photographer selected for Joop Swart Masterclass
- Queen tips Prince Charles to follow her as Commonwealth head
- Spread history and legacy of Mujibnagar govt: Muna Tasneem
- PM calls for Commonwealth’s comprehensive reform
- Amorous couples, sex workers whipped in Indonesia's Aceh
- PM exchanges greetings with British Queen
- 3 resident students of DU hall brought back
- Ostrich chicks, gold ornaments seized in Satkhira