Brazil police hold two terror suspects
Published : 12 Aug 2016, 20:32
Brazilian police said Thursday they took two people into custody on suspicion of terrorism offences as part of an operation to ensure security during the Olympic Games in Rio.
Five other people were detained pending charges and two were questioned before being released, the federal police said in a statement. All the suspects are Brazilian.
The arrests were part of Operation Hashtag, an investigation into
suspected extremists that netted 12 other arrests last month.
Brazilian media reported that Thursday's arrests took place in Sao Paulo.
News site G1 said the two people remanded in custody were part of a group along with the suspects caught last month.
They are suspected of defending the Islamic State extremist group, though officials said those arrested last month did not have direct links to the jihadists.
Those suspects are accused of plotting violence during the Games via
online messages, including on the popular smartphone application WhatsApp.
Authorities have deployed 85,000 officers to police the games which run until August 21.
- Most viewed
- 10 Super foods for Weight Loss (Video)
- The Best Exercise to Sculpt Your Legs (Video)
- 6 Secrets to Get to Sleep Faster (Video)
- Which STD Tests You Should Get and Why
- 4 Steps to Slim, Sculpted Arms (Video)
- How to Sculpt Killer Abs (Video)
- Why a Swedish Town Might Be Swapping Lunch Breaks For Sex Breaks (Video)
- This 15-Minute Yoga Flow Will Instantly Brighten Your Skin (video)
- Straight women have fewest orgasms
- PM urges brands, buyers to help overhaul garment factories
- Modern multi-storied food warehouse ready for opening at Santahar
- President, PM pay tributes to Pilkhana martyrs
- JU VC honored as first woman VC to public university
- Gas price hike: CPB, BSD call hartal in Dhaka Feb 28
- 82,000 tonnes winter vegetables produced in Narsingdi
- Khadiza goes back home
- Medical student killed in Dhaka road accident
- Sports village to be constructed at Padmar char: PM