Kvitova enters French Open draw
Published : 18 Apr 2017, 17:49
Two-times Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitova has entered the draw for next month's French Open four months after suffering a serious hand injury, she said on Monday.
The 27-year-old was stabbed by a knife-wielding intruder in her home in the Czech Republic in December.
"My name will appear on the entry list for Roland Garros tomorrow because I had made good progress in my recovery process and I want to give myself every last opportunity to be able to compete at one of my favourite events," Kvitova said on Instagram on Monday.
"This unfortunately does not mean necessarily that I will be ready to play in Paris, but that I'm doing everything possible to give myself the chance and keep a positive mindset. There remains a long road ahead."
The hard-hitting left-hander rose to number two in the world rankings in 2011 when she won the first of her two Wimbledon singles titles. She is now ranked 14th.
The French Open starts on May 22.
- Most viewed
- Pedophile stopped at Sydney Airport by anti-sex tourism law
- San Francisco native becomes city's 1st black woman mayor
- Egyptian singer jailed for eating a banana in music video
- PM sure of AL victory in next election
- SMEs’ contribution to economy huge: Speaker
- Virat, Anushka wed in Italy, begin new innings
- Bangladeshi arrested in New York after ‘suicide blast’ attempt
- Fresh is always better!
- ‘Dangal’ fame actress Zaira molested on flight; man held