Serena’s pregnancy confirmed
Published : 20 Apr 2017, 19:22
Serena Williams, the most successful female player of the Open era, is pregnant - just 12 weeks after winning her record 23rd Grand Slam.
The American, 35, is due to give birth in the autumn, says her representative.
The world number two posted a picture on social media app Snapchat, posing in a mirror with the message: “20 weeks”, before deleting it.
Williams will miss the rest of the season, having not played since winning in Melbourne, citing a knee injury.
Williams, who will return to world number one next week, would be eligible to retain her ranking under the WTA special ranking rule if she is ready to play her first tournament within 12 months of giving birth.
Former world number one Victoria Azarenka gave birth to her first child in December and is expected to return to competition at the end of July.
Belgium's Kim Clijsters, meanwhile, won the US Open in 2009 just 18 months after giving birth to her daughter.
The news would suggest that Serena won the Australian Open while roughly eight weeks into her pregnancy.
We are very unlikely to see her compete in another Grand Slam before the French Open of 2018. That event will take place four months before her 37th birthday - but do not write off a woman who will return to world number one on Monday.
- Most viewed
- Are smoothies good for your diet? Here’s what experts have to say
- Ending the option of carrying a child is about taking control of the body
- Facebook, Twitter not affecting face-to-face contact with friends
- Tinder’s new feature to give more power to women
- Why you can’t get enough of your favourite songs
- How asthma may affect your chances of pregnancy
- Recipe: Shahi Paneer, simply delicious
- Sara Ali Khan to make Bollywood debut with Ranveer Singh?
- ‘Descendants 3’ to be out in 2019
- Make everyday of your life Valentine’s Day with your sweetheart
- Invest in girls, women: UN chief
- Prime Minister to meet Pope today
- Man to die for killing wife in Netrakona
- Adore the feel of feminism with payals
- Oru Adaar Love special teaser starring Priya Prakash is out (video)
- ‘Saudi women should not have to wear abaya robes’
- 11 February Births
- Pahela Falgun brings colour in life