Serena’s pregnancy confirmed
Published : 20 Apr 2017, 19:22
Serena Williams, the most successful female player of the Open era, is pregnant - just 12 weeks after winning her record 23rd Grand Slam.
The American, 35, is due to give birth in the autumn, says her representative.
The world number two posted a picture on social media app Snapchat, posing in a mirror with the message: “20 weeks”, before deleting it.
Williams will miss the rest of the season, having not played since winning in Melbourne, citing a knee injury.
Williams, who will return to world number one next week, would be eligible to retain her ranking under the WTA special ranking rule if she is ready to play her first tournament within 12 months of giving birth.
Former world number one Victoria Azarenka gave birth to her first child in December and is expected to return to competition at the end of July.
Belgium's Kim Clijsters, meanwhile, won the US Open in 2009 just 18 months after giving birth to her daughter.
The news would suggest that Serena won the Australian Open while roughly eight weeks into her pregnancy.
We are very unlikely to see her compete in another Grand Slam before the French Open of 2018. That event will take place four months before her 37th birthday - but do not write off a woman who will return to world number one on Monday.
- Most viewed
- JS speaker returns home from Australia
- Free Online Course Beginner’s Guide to Writing in English for University Study
- Global Youth Leaders Travel and Learning Camp 2017 in Singapore
- Fully Funded Master of Computer Science at Jinan University, China
- Master and PhD scholarship program in Science, Japan
- Chicken Irani
- How breathing exercises can help prevent high blood pressure
- Cultural personality Kazi Arif ‘clinically dead’
- Prehistoric human DNA found in caves without bones
- Cabinet Secy: PayPal to start soon
- David Cameron meets Sheikh Hasina
- 27 April Births
- 27 April Deaths
- PM opens Digital Island Moheshkhali
- No change in UK-Bangladesh ties for Brexit: Cameron
- PM asks all to promote Chittagong Port's goodwill
- Bappa Mazumder sings duet with Sona Mohapatra
- Make Your Own Mango Bubble Tea