Sharapova crashes out in Qatar Open first round
Published : 13 Feb 2018, 16:03
Five-time Grand Slam winner Maria Sharapova suffered a shock defeat in the first round of the Qatar Open on Monday, dumped out in three sets by outsider, Monica Niculescu.
The Romanian ranked number 92 in the world, 51 places behind the Russian, won 4-6, 6-4, 6-3.
In a match lasting more than two and a half hours, Sharapova hit 52 unforced errors as opposed to just 17 from Niculescu.
And she could also convert only six of 15 break points.
The former world number one, twice a winner in Doha, had been given a wildcard into the draw and was one the tournament's major attractions.
"I did a good job of winning the longer rallies, even though that's not really what I wanted to get myself into," said Sharapova afterwards.
"So, physically I felt good. I just got pretty passive in the end and start making too many errors."
It was the 30-year-old's first appearance in Doha since 2013 and her first match since losing to Angelique Kerber in the third round of the Australian Open last month.
- Most viewed
- World Cup Pussy Riot pitch intruders jailed for 15 days
- 'I had to make my kidnapper fall in love with me': Chloe Ayling
- PM Sheikh Hasina opens G2P system for freedom fighters
- Theresa May accepts key amendments from hardline Brexiteers
- 592 rape incidents in six months
- 17 July Events
- 17 July Births
- 17 July Deaths
- Arrests after Indian woman gang-raped, burned to death
- Prime Minister visits Pabna today
- 11 July Deaths
- ‘We’re on top of the world anyways’: Croatia’s president
- Tigresses ensure participation of ICC World T20
- Bangladesh Tigress will face Scotland tonight
- France-Croatia to fight for World Cup 2018 title tonight
- What you should know about Croatian President Kolinda Kitarovic
- France crowned World Cup 2018 champions after beating Croatia
- No more ‘hot women’- FIFA wants fewer images of attractive female fans in stadiums