Sharapova crashes out in Qatar Open first round
Published : 13 Feb 2018, 16:03
Five-time Grand Slam winner Maria Sharapova suffered a shock defeat in the first round of the Qatar Open on Monday, dumped out in three sets by outsider, Monica Niculescu.
The Romanian ranked number 92 in the world, 51 places behind the Russian, won 4-6, 6-4, 6-3.
In a match lasting more than two and a half hours, Sharapova hit 52 unforced errors as opposed to just 17 from Niculescu.
And she could also convert only six of 15 break points.
The former world number one, twice a winner in Doha, had been given a wildcard into the draw and was one the tournament's major attractions.
"I did a good job of winning the longer rallies, even though that's not really what I wanted to get myself into," said Sharapova afterwards.
"So, physically I felt good. I just got pretty passive in the end and start making too many errors."
It was the 30-year-old's first appearance in Doha since 2013 and her first match since losing to Angelique Kerber in the third round of the Australian Open last month.
- Most viewed
- Doob to represent Bangladesh in 91st Oscar
- Prime Minister leaves London for New York
- Rock your locks with stylish chic buns
- Tempting sev puri to satisfy your craving
- James Bond to be back in 2020
- Mother ‘hacked dead’ by ‘drug addict’ son in Kushtia
- 23 September Events
- 23 September Births
- 23 September Deaths
- 10% pass in Dhaka University ‘Ga’ unit admission test
- Bangladesh least innovative country in Asia
- Seven-day skin care routine for lovely looks
- Prime Minister to address 73rd Session UNGA September 27
- PM leaves for London Friday en route to NY to join 73rd UNGA
- Bangladesh hand Lebanon 8-0 thrashing
- Instant triple talaq an offence in India
- 2 hijras among 3 hurt in Savar gun attack
- PM unveils ‘World Skills Bangladesh’ logo