Sharapova crashes out in Qatar Open first round
Published : 13 Feb 2018, 16:03
Five-time Grand Slam winner Maria Sharapova suffered a shock defeat in the first round of the Qatar Open on Monday, dumped out in three sets by outsider, Monica Niculescu.
The Romanian ranked number 92 in the world, 51 places behind the Russian, won 4-6, 6-4, 6-3.
In a match lasting more than two and a half hours, Sharapova hit 52 unforced errors as opposed to just 17 from Niculescu.
And she could also convert only six of 15 break points.
The former world number one, twice a winner in Doha, had been given a wildcard into the draw and was one the tournament's major attractions.
"I did a good job of winning the longer rallies, even though that's not really what I wanted to get myself into," said Sharapova afterwards.
"So, physically I felt good. I just got pretty passive in the end and start making too many errors."
It was the 30-year-old's first appearance in Doha since 2013 and her first match since losing to Angelique Kerber in the third round of the Australian Open last month.
- Most viewed
- PM greets Raushan, Ershad on Eid-ul-Azha
- Kangana’s look in Manikarnika is grabbing eyeballs
- Tips to feel rejuvenated and look gorgeous naturally in hectic festive season
- Cabbage, broccoli could prevent colon cancer
- Kim Jong-nam murder: 'Enough evidence' for women to go on trial
- PM pays tributes to Golam Sarwar
- U-15 girls take on Bhutan in SAFF semi
- 16 August Events
- 16 August Births
- Bangladeshi women footballers beat Pakistan by 14-0
- PM greets U-15 women footballers for victory over Pakistan
- Sexual violence a tool to force ethnic minorities to migrate: Experts
- Prevent cancer, save life
- US judge halts mother-daughter deportation
- Williams rebounds from worst loss to advance in Cincy tennis
- BD beat Nepal 3-0 to emerge group top in SAFF U-15 Women’s championship
- With new category, Oscars are now a popularity contest
- Tofu, soy milk can boost bone strength in women