Keep it up, PM to women cricketers
Published : 21 Jun 2018, 10:54
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina on Wednesday asked the Bangladesh National Women Cricket team to keep up their strong determination to continue better performance in the international sports arena.
“Win or loss is not the big thing; you have to maintain your determination,” she said while addressing a reception accorded to the team at her official residence Ganobhaban for becoming champions in the Women’s T20 Asia Cup.
The Tigresses lifted the Asia Cup trophy beating India by three wickets in the final in Malaysia recently.
The Prime Minister said the victory in the T20 Asia Cup, particularly defeating India twice first in the group stage and then in the final, was not so easy.
Terming the female players the country’s golden girls, she said they have proved their ability.
Bangladesh will not look back from the journey that began through clinching of the Asia Cup title, Sheikh Hasina said.
Putting emphasis on expanding games and sports across the country, she said her government wants to pick girls from the grassroots level to further strengthen the women cricket team.
The Prime Minister mentioned her government’s efforts taken over the last nine years to develop the team, saying the victory in the Asia Cup is the outcome of such efforts.
After winning the Asia Cup, she said, her government has now decided to start district-wise cricket competitions for encouraging more girls in sports and games.
Hasina also underscored the need for involving youths in sports and games to keep their health and mind sound.
At the function, the Prime Minister handed over cheques for Tk 2 crore for the National Women Cricket Team Tk 11 lakh for every player as well as Tk 27 lakh for the players of their special performances.
State Minister for Youth and Sports Biren Sikder, Bangladesh Cricket Board President Nazmul Hasan Papon and Captain of the Bangladesh National Women Cricket team Salma Khatun also spoke on the occasion.
- Most viewed
- Girl gang raped in Narayanganj
- Work for people, Prime Minister to officials
- HC orders Cumilla court to dispose of Khaleda’s bail plea by July 26
- Shooter dead after killing one woman and injuring 13 others in Canada
- 9 people shot in Canada, shooter dead: police
- 23 July Events
- 23 July Births
- 23 July Deaths
- British PM’s trade envoy Rushanara in city
- Use jute bags, break up with plastics: Prime Minister
- AL to hold mass reception to Prime Minister today
- Bangladeshi Sharmin wins Commonwealth recognition
- British PM’s trade envoy Rushanara due today
- HSC, equivalent exams results tomorrow
- World Cup Pussy Riot pitch intruders jailed for 15 days
- 'I had to make my kidnapper fall in love with me': Chloe Ayling
- Sonam Kapoor's Truly 'The Good Wife'
- Google faces record 4.3-bn-euro EU fine over Android