Moroccan state TV shows women how to hide domestic violence (Video)
Published : 28 Nov 2016, 19:34
Women in Morocco have reacted in horror after a programme on state television demonstrated how they could use makeup to cover up evidence of domestic violence.
The segment in the daily programme Sabahiyat, on Channel 2M, showed a smiling makeup artist demonstrating how to mask marks of beating, on a woman with her face made up to appear swollen and covered with fake black and blue bruises.
“We hope these beauty tips will help you carry on with your daily life”, the host said at the end of the segment, broadcast on 23 November – two days before the International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women.
The response was immediate, and outraged. A petition signed by hundreds of women demanded an apology and sanctions against the station. One man tweeted that the segment had left him speechless.
The channel has since removed the clip from its website, but it has been circulated on Social Media.
The channel has also placed a “clarification” on its Facebook page, saying that the section was “completely inappropriate and has an editorial error of judgment in view of the sensitivity and the gravity of the subject of violence against women”.
- Most viewed
- Nicotine vaping might not be as healthy was first thought
- The rise of the gourmet burger trend
- Celebrity chef brothers bring their signature cooking to the Mideast
- Action if mobile phone operators sell SIM cards to Rohingya refugees [...]
- Process for taking back some Rohingya refugees ‘anytime’: Suu Kyi
- World must join to stop Rohingya genocide: Shabana Azmi
- Couple Has Sex In Domino's Pizza, Then Justice Is Served (video)
- Kushtia BNP leader held for ‘rape attempt’
- PM rules out possibility of understanding with BNP
- ‘SDG Tracker’ & Publication on South South launched
- Woman burnt to death ‘by husband’ for failing to get MBBS seat
- PM reaffirms Bangladesh's commitment to end sexual abuse of peacekeepers
- PM calls for taking private sector on board for SDG financing
- Nawaz Sharif's wife wins Lahore by-poll
- How to have beautiful toned body
- 'Addressing climate change means ensuring human rights'
- Women empowerment must to achieve SDGs: PM
- Girl dies falling off easy bike