Baghdad suicide car bomb blast kills 32: police
Published : 02 Jan 2017, 17:14
A suicide car bomb attack in a densely-populated neighbourhood of Baghdad on Monday killed at least 32 people and left dozens wounded, police and hospital officials said.
Many of the victims were daily labourers waiting for jobs at an intersection in Sadr City, a sprawling majority Shiite neighbourhood in the northeast of the capital that has been repeatedly targeted.
Pictures posted on social media shortly after the explosion showed a huge plume of black smoke billowing into the sky and seriously injured people being evacuated.
According to a police colonel, at least 32 people were killed and 61 wounded in the blast, the second major attack in Baghdad in three days.
At least 27 people were killed by twin explosions in a busy market area in central Baghdad on Saturday, in what was the deadliest such attack in the Iraqi capital in two months.
There was no immediate claim for Monday's suicide blast but the Islamic State jihadist group has claimed all such attacks recently, including the double bombing on New Year's Eve.
The caliphate IS proclaimed in 2014 is shrinking steadily and jihadist fighters are defending Mosul, their last major urban stronghold in Iraq.
Observers have voiced fears that the group, once it definitively loses its status as a land-holding force, could increasingly revert to targeting civilians in Iraq's cities.
- Most viewed
- Sunny Leone is the new mom in B-town!
- Useful tips for beautiful nails
- Microcredit programmes turn many women self-employed
- Muslim Ummah facing harassment for involvement of some people in militancy: PM
- 2 women surrender as cops cordon off Meherpur ‘militant den’
- Court orders de-sealing of hotel room where Sunanda died
- Minneapolis police chief resigns after Australian woman's shooting
- 22 July Deaths
- 22 July Births
- Tahsan, Mithila announce their divorce
- Students clash with cops at Shahbagh demanding exam dates
- Unidentified girl dies at DMCH, 12 days after rescue in senseless state
- 2,000 girl cyclists say 'No' to early marriage
- Bangladeshi gets 11 years’ jail for raping tourist in Singapore
- 5 members of ‘rapist gang’ held in city
- Don’t ruin fish market for small gains, PM to exporters
- Jagga Jasoos actress found dead in Gurgaon flat
- Australian senator who breast-fed daughter in parliament resigns