Baghdad suicide car bomb blast kills 32: police
Published : 02 Jan 2017, 17:14
A suicide car bomb attack in a densely-populated neighbourhood of Baghdad on Monday killed at least 32 people and left dozens wounded, police and hospital officials said.
Many of the victims were daily labourers waiting for jobs at an intersection in Sadr City, a sprawling majority Shiite neighbourhood in the northeast of the capital that has been repeatedly targeted.
Pictures posted on social media shortly after the explosion showed a huge plume of black smoke billowing into the sky and seriously injured people being evacuated.
According to a police colonel, at least 32 people were killed and 61 wounded in the blast, the second major attack in Baghdad in three days.
At least 27 people were killed by twin explosions in a busy market area in central Baghdad on Saturday, in what was the deadliest such attack in the Iraqi capital in two months.
There was no immediate claim for Monday's suicide blast but the Islamic State jihadist group has claimed all such attacks recently, including the double bombing on New Year's Eve.
The caliphate IS proclaimed in 2014 is shrinking steadily and jihadist fighters are defending Mosul, their last major urban stronghold in Iraq.
Observers have voiced fears that the group, once it definitively loses its status as a land-holding force, could increasingly revert to targeting civilians in Iraq's cities.
- Most viewed
- Teacher arrested for ‘raping Pallabi schoolgirl’
- PM to visit Kurigram, Dinajpur Sunday to see flood victims
- Case filed over Pallabi student rape
- Prospect of progress must not be ruined: PM
- 2 girls return after languishing in Indian jail
- 17 August Deaths
- 17 August Births
- 17 August Events
- Condom use on the rise, but still only a third of men wear them
- Australian Army bans male recruits to get female numbers up
- Amazing Health Benefits Of Miswak
- Roads to avoid on Aug 15
- Baul singer ‘gang-raped’ in Ashulia
- Taylor Swift assault case: Judge throws out DJ's lawsuit
- PM critical of those denying Bangabandhu's contribution
- 13 August Births
- Hiding The Propaganda
- 13 August Deaths