Rain slackens across Thailand's flood-hit south
Published : 11 Jan 2017, 22:33
Heavy rain responsible for floods across southern Thailand eased Wednesday, leaving residents to pick through damaged homes and ruined fields wrought by the 10-day deluge.
Record downpours have submerged vast swathes of Thailand's agricultural south since the beginning of the month, leaving at least 31 dead and affecting 1.1 million people.
The unseasonal weather has also struck popular beach destinations during Thailand's peak tourist period, sparking travel chaos with flights, railways and roads disrupted.
While much of the south remains under water, sunshine finally broke through raising hopes of an end to days of misery.
"There is no heavy downpour expected," Surangkana Jongsawat, the chief of Thailand's weather department, told AFP.
"The worst is over, now we have to wait for current flood waters to recede," she added.
Officials are now focused on delivering aid and rebuilding wrecked infrastructure.
Flash floods across the region have left considerable destruction in their wake, knocking down bridges and gouging hundreds of roads.
Muddy floodwaters have also inundated rubber and palm oil plantations and are likely to leave farmers with significant losses.
The total cost of the damage is still being calculated, officials told AFP.
Meanwhile, soldiers have been mobilised to deliver relief by boat and helicopter to swamped villages where the waters have reached roof-high levels in some areas.
"Our first priority is life," Charoen Watanasrimongkol, a Royal Thai Air Force captain organising airborne relief missions in Surat Thani province, told AFP.
"The current is strong so we need safety equipment to get people to hospital," he said, adding that authorities are focusing on reconstruction now that the rains have eased.
- Most viewed
- Are smoothies good for your diet? Here’s what experts have to say
- Ending the option of carrying a child is about taking control of the body
- Facebook, Twitter not affecting face-to-face contact with friends
- Tinder’s new feature to give more power to women
- Why you can’t get enough of your favourite songs
- How asthma may affect your chances of pregnancy
- Recipe: Shahi Paneer, simply delicious
- Sara Ali Khan to make Bollywood debut with Ranveer Singh?
- ‘Descendants 3’ to be out in 2019
- Make everyday of your life Valentine’s Day with your sweetheart
- Invest in girls, women: UN chief
- Prime Minister to meet Pope today
- Man to die for killing wife in Netrakona
- Adore the feel of feminism with payals
- Oru Adaar Love special teaser starring Priya Prakash is out (video)
- ‘Saudi women should not have to wear abaya robes’
- 11 February Births
- Pahela Falgun brings colour in life