Ecuador begins presidential vote recount in 5 provinces
Published : 08 Apr 2017, 18:24
The National Electoral Council (CNE) of Ecuador began on Friday a vote recount in five provinces where objections have been received, concerning the results of the second round of the country's presidential elections on April 2.
On Tuesday, the CNE declared in its official results that Lenin Moreno, candidate of the ruling PAIS Alliance, had won presidential runoff with 51.16 percent of valid votes, while opposition challenger Guillermo Lasso, garnered 48.84 percent, with 99.65 percent of votes counted.
However, Lasso refused to accept CNE's results and noted that he was the victim of electoral fraud.
In a press conference Friday, Diego Tello, CNE's national coordinator of electoral processes said that recounts were happening in the provinces of Chimborazo, Imbabura, Pichincha, Cotopaxi and Carchi, and the recount was being observed by delegates from both Moreno's PAIS Alliance and Lasso's CREO movement.
Although election observers declared they found no evidence that the results were false, the charges lodged with the CNE claimed that there was a difference between the number of people who had voted on the day and the number of votes that had been counted.
Juan Pablo Pozo, president of the CNE, denied this week that there had been any fraud and called the country's ballot system a "success."
- Most viewed
- Virtual or real? Fashion world split over digital supermodels
- Kenya lifts ban on lesbian film
- Prime Minister to address 73rd Session UNGA September 27
- 22 September Events
- 22 September Births
- 22 September Deaths
- Katrina Kaif’s character in ‘Thugs of Hindostan’ revealed
- 21 September Events
- 21 September Births
- 10% pass in Dhaka University ‘Ga’ unit admission test
- Bangladesh least innovative country in Asia
- Seven-day skin care routine for lovely looks
- PM unveils ‘World Skills Bangladesh’ logo
- Bangladesh hand Lebanon 8-0 thrashing
- 2 hijras among 3 hurt in Savar gun attack
- PM leaves for London Friday en route to NY to join 73rd UNGA
- Instant triple talaq an offence in India
- Hasina, Modi to open Bangladesh-India oil pipeline today