"World class" medical research facility opens in Australia
Published : 18 Apr 2017, 15:16
A "world class" healthcare and medical research facility officially opened here on Tuesday at Sydney's Randwick Hospitals Campus in Australia.
The 10-storey Bright Building will bring together Prince of Wales Hospital's Nelune Comprehensive Cancer Centre, the University of New South Wales Scientia Clinical Research facility and expand Sydney Children's Hospitals Network.
The complex will also include an outpatient service for adolescents and young adults, which is the first of its kind in Australia.
"The New South Wales government is committed to delivering world's best practice when it comes to health services and the Bright Building is state-of-the-art," New South Wales Premier Gladys Berejiklian said in a statement obtained by Xinhua.
"As well as improving care for cancer patients and adolescents and young adults with chronic illnesses, it will be home to cutting edge medical research."
Worth 114 million Australian dollars (86 million U.S. dollars), the project is funded by the New South Wales State government, the Commonwealth government, University of New South Wales, the Prince of Wales Hospital Foundation, Nelune Foundation, Sydney Children's Hospital and community fundraising initiatives.
New South Wales minister for health and medical research Brad Hazzard said "patients would have more opportunities to participate in clinical trials in cancer, ophthalmology, neurology, addiction medicine, as well as rheumatology and paediatrics."
"As well as ensuring patients have access to the best treatments, the community will benefit from the high-quality medical experts this facility will attract."
"I am determined to support researchers on their journey to find a cure, knowing what they discover today will translate to the bedside for future patients."
- Most viewed
- Priyanka Chopra, Nick Jonas are officially engaged
- Huma Qureshi didn’t care about working with Khans
- Woman commits suicide after ‘stabbing husband’ in city
- Saff U-15 girls eye more glory in final today
- 18 August Events
- 18 August Births
- 18 August Deaths
- No cell phones at Deepika, Ranveer destination wedding
- Nick Jonas reaches India for engagement bash with Priyanka
- Williams rebounds from worst loss to advance in Cincy tennis
- Sheikh Hasina to inaugurate 23 bridges, Fatehpur Railway Overpass
- BD beat Nepal 3-0 to emerge group top in SAFF U-15 Women’s championship
- U-15 girls take on Bhutan in SAFF semi
- Caned by headmaster, schoolgirl kills self
- Antibiotic resistance genes in air pose threat to human health: Study
- Prime Minister pays homage to Bangabandhu in Tungipara
- Nation observes National Mourning Day today
- President, PM pay homage to Bangabandhu