Huge fire engulfs 27-storey London tower block [video]
Published : 14 Jun 2017, 11:35
A massive fire ripped through a 27-storey apartment block in west London in the early hours of Wednesday, police and fire services said.
The fire brigade said 40 fire engines and 200 firefighters had been called to the blaze in Grenfell Tower, which has 120 flats.
“Fire is from 2nd to top floor of 27 storey building,” the fire service said on Twitter.
A dramatic photograph posted by the fire service showed the side of the building engulfed in flames.
Police said in a statement they were called at 1:16am (0016 GMT) “to reports of a large fire at a block of flats in the Lancaster West Estate”.
They said an evacuation of the block was “underway” and at least two people were being treated at the scene for smoke inhalation.
The apartment block was built in 1974.
- Most viewed
- SMEs’ contribution to economy huge: Speaker
- Virat, Anushka wed in Italy, begin new innings
- Bangladeshi arrested in New York after ‘suicide blast’ attempt
- Fresh is always better!
- ‘Dangal’ fame actress Zaira molested on flight; man held
- Speaker for forging unity to uphold human rights
- Muggers shoot woman in Tikatuli
- PM leaves for Paris to attend 'One Planet Summit
- 11 December Deaths