Angela Merkel says US 'most welcome' at G20 summit in Germany
Published : 20 Jun 2017, 18:19
German Chancellor Angela Merkel says that the United States is "an important part" of the Group of 20 summit, which her country is hosting next month, and that "they will be most welcome by the German government despite all differences in opinion."
Despite the warm words, Merkel, who was speaking at a pre-summit event in Hamburg on today, nonetheless renewed her criticism of US President Donald Trump's decision to pull the US out of the Paris climate accord, which she called a "bitter blow."
Merkel and Trump have had an uneasy relationship since Trump took office in January.
The chancellor has criticized several of Trump's policy decisions including his project to build a wall against immigrants on the US's southern border. Trump on the other hand, has condemned Germany for its export-driven economy and for taking in so many migrants in 2015.
- Most viewed
- Stress just as unhealthy as junk food
- HC for probe into child’s birth, death on hospital compound
- Canada’s Quebec province to ban face coverings in public sector
- Brad Pitt eyeing Angelina Jolie’s lookalike
- Students from Dhaka win study trip to Australian Univ
- Magura schoolgirl commits suicide
- Raped then beaten up for protesting
- Momen urges UNSC to solve Rohingya, Palestine crises
- Woman holds world record for sleeping with 919 men in one day
- Safa takes a break from TV series
- Hormone therapy ‘safe’ for women with migraine?
- Samsung Electronics CEO resigns
- Staying in shape may make you live longer
- Rivals accused in cases over attack on Sajeda’s motorcade
- 18 October Events
- Oscars board expels producer Harvey Weinstein from Academy amid sexual assault allegations
- Jennifer Aniston donates $1 mn to charity
- France's Audrey Azoulay wins vote to be next UNESCO chief