Angela Merkel says US 'most welcome' at G20 summit in Germany
Published : 20 Jun 2017, 18:19
German Chancellor Angela Merkel says that the United States is "an important part" of the Group of 20 summit, which her country is hosting next month, and that "they will be most welcome by the German government despite all differences in opinion."
Despite the warm words, Merkel, who was speaking at a pre-summit event in Hamburg on today, nonetheless renewed her criticism of US President Donald Trump's decision to pull the US out of the Paris climate accord, which she called a "bitter blow."
Merkel and Trump have had an uneasy relationship since Trump took office in January.
The chancellor has criticized several of Trump's policy decisions including his project to build a wall against immigrants on the US's southern border. Trump on the other hand, has condemned Germany for its export-driven economy and for taking in so many migrants in 2015.
- Most viewed
- 20 February Deaths
- 20 February Births
- 20 February Events
- Myanmar dithering on repatriation: Prime Minister
- Bangabandhu Satellite to be launched in Mar 2018: PM
- Election in due time no matter who joins it: PM
- PM's press conference begins
- Pressure on Myanmar must for Rohingya repatriation: Norway
- Saudi women don't need male permission to start businesses
- Open Access Movement for Open Data, Education and Research
- Make everyday of your life Valentine’s Day with your sweetheart
- Oru Adaar Love special teaser starring Priya Prakash is out (video)
- Woman who got attention by giving birth to 7 kids has died
- Court takes charges into cognizance over assaulting woman by policemen
- Jennifer Aniston, Justin Theroux separate
- At least 17 killed in US school shooting
- 21 women raped, assaulted on public transport in 13 months: Report
- Youth to die for killing Sherpur housewife