11 killed by attackers at child's birthday party in Mexico
Published : 14 Jul 2017, 12:17
Attackers wielding knives burst into a child's birthday party in central Mexico, stabbing and slashing to death 11 people, including two minors, authorities said Thursday.
Hidalgo state prosecutor Javier Ramiro Lara Salinas said at a news conference that the preliminary investigation suggested the attack in a house near Tizayuca, just north of Mexico City, was a "settling of scores."
Among the victims was a man with an ID identifying him as a Mexico City police officer.
Lara said the home's owner had served time on a kidnapping charge in Mexico State.
Authorities received a 911 call after midnight Thursday alerting them to the killings.
Officers discovered 11 bodies - seven of them female and four male, with two minors, state authorities said.
They had initially said the victims were seven men and four women. Four minors survived the attack without injuries.
None of the victims was shot. All were killed by knives or other cutting weapons.
The area had largely been spared the violence affecting other parts of Mexico.
- Most viewed
- Couple whipped for getting 'too close' before wedding
- Big budget movies in Dhallywood soon
- 2 women found dead in Keraniganj
- Pope speaks out on violence against women
- CHT people to enjoy land ownership: PM
- 21 January Deaths
- 21 January Births
- 21 January Events
- Don’t fret over conceiving with irregular periods
- Committee formed to implement 9th wage board for journos: Tarana
- Canadian police say attack on girl who claimed a man cut her hijab ‘did not happen’
- Strong Coast Guard important for world maritime security: US
- PM urges developed countries to stand beside Bangladesh
- ‘Zombie’ singer Dolores O’Riordan dies at 46
- Pranab Mukherjee meets Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina
- Sri Lanka lifts 38-yr ban on women buying, selling alcohol
- Singer Shammi Akhtar passes away
- Minor girl found hanging from tree in Chuadanga