11 killed by attackers at child's birthday party in Mexico
Published : 14 Jul 2017, 12:17
Attackers wielding knives burst into a child's birthday party in central Mexico, stabbing and slashing to death 11 people, including two minors, authorities said Thursday.
Hidalgo state prosecutor Javier Ramiro Lara Salinas said at a news conference that the preliminary investigation suggested the attack in a house near Tizayuca, just north of Mexico City, was a "settling of scores."
Among the victims was a man with an ID identifying him as a Mexico City police officer.
Lara said the home's owner had served time on a kidnapping charge in Mexico State.
Authorities received a 911 call after midnight Thursday alerting them to the killings.
Officers discovered 11 bodies - seven of them female and four male, with two minors, state authorities said.
They had initially said the victims were seven men and four women. Four minors survived the attack without injuries.
None of the victims was shot. All were killed by knives or other cutting weapons.
The area had largely been spared the violence affecting other parts of Mexico.
- Most viewed
- Keto or vegan? Hear it from the nutritionist
- Happy Birthday Priyanka Chopra: 5 times actress turned heads
- Wonder benefits of coconut oil
- Google faces record 4.3-bn-euro EU fine over Android
- HSC, equivalent exams results tomorrow
- Sonam Kapoor's Truly 'The Good Wife'
- Use jute bags, break up with plastics: Prime Minister
- Quota movement is discreet campaign against FFs children
- Theresa May wins key Brexit vote despite ongoing rebellion
- Prime Minister visits Pabna today
- ‘We’re on top of the world anyways’: Croatia’s president
- Tigresses ensure participation of ICC World T20
- Bangladesh Tigress will face Scotland tonight
- France-Croatia to fight for World Cup 2018 title tonight
- What you should know about Croatian President Kolinda Kitarovic
- France crowned World Cup 2018 champions after beating Croatia
- No more ‘hot women’- FIFA wants fewer images of attractive female fans in stadiums
- Bangladesh emerge all-win champions in Women's WT20 Qualifiers