Case filed against Roopa Ganguly for rape remark
Published : 16 Jul 2017, 12:40
A First Information Report or FIR has been filed against BJP lawmaker Roopa Ganguly for her controversial remarks about the safety of women in West Bengal that had sparked outrage and an equally contentious comeback from the state's ruling party.
Attacking the Mamata Banerjee government on the law and order situation in the state, Ms Ganguly on Friday said, "Send their (Trinamool workers) wives and daughters to Bengal... If they are able to survive there for 15 days without getting raped, then tell me."
The Trinamool Congress' rebuttal was quick and acerbic.
"Before accusing the entire state...
she should also speak out how many times she has been raped in Bengal, then it will be realised what is the truth behind this utterance," said minister Sobhandeb Chattopadhyay.
A police inquiry was also initiated against state BJP President Dilip Ghosh for his comments on Friday against the West Bengal government.
The verbal exchange that saw the politics in West Bengal touching a new low comes amid a row over the alleged gang-rape of three tribal women last month in Raiganj in North Dinajpur district. The tribals in the area went on a rampage demanding arrests in the case. A statement by the BJP later blamed the police for failing to arrest any of the culprits and "working as the yes-man of Trinamool Congress".
The actor-turned-politician, who joined the BJP in 2015, attacked the state government saying that the democracy has died in the state.
The BJP, according to news agency ANI, defended Ms Ganguly, saying that rather than focusing on the literal meaning of her statement, importance should be given to the subject matter itself.
Ms Ganguly has emerged as the most vocal face of the party, which has stepped up its vote share in the state from 9 per cent in 2011 election to 31 per cent in the 2016.
West Bengal has been a boiling point for almost a month now over the recent communal unrest in Basirhat, and the ongoing campaign for a separate state of Gorkhaland in Darjeeling that is led by Gorkha Janmukti Morcha, an ally of the BJP.
- Most viewed
- 5 special Eid-ul-Adha Dishe for guest
- Mother, daughter found dead in Bogra
- Khaleda, Tarique directly involved in Aug 21 grenade attack: PM
- PM pays tribute to August 21 grenade attack victims
- 21 April Events
- 21 April Births
- 21 April Deaths
- Weinstein accuser Asia Argento paid teen who made sex assault claim
- Cabinet approves ‘Sarkari Chakori Ain, 2018’
- Girls' supremacy finally over
- Saff U-15 girls eye more glory in final today
- Priyanka Chopra, Nick Jonas are officially engaged
- The 18th Asian Games got off to a glorious start
- U-15 girls take on Bhutan in SAFF semi
- SAFF U-15 girls reach final beating Bhutan 5-0
- Youth found dead at Chattogram hotel
- Huma Qureshi didn’t care about working with Khans
- Caned by headmaster, schoolgirl kills self