Nawaz Sharif's wife wins Lahore by-poll
Published : 18 Sep 2017, 12:05
A Pakistani minister says the wife of ousted Pakistani premier Nawaz Sharif has won his parliament seat which fell vacant after the country's Supreme Court disqualified him for concealing assets, according to unofficial results.
Climate Change minister Mushahid Ullah Khan says Kulsoom Nawaz Sharif of the Pakistan Muslim League party won the crucial by-election Sunday by securing 61,254 votes for the seat for the eastern city of Lahore. She defeated key rival Tahreek-e-Insaf party's candidate Dr. Yasmin Rashid.
Rashid conceded defeat while talking to reporters and supporters.
Sharif's ailing wife secured the seat in absentia, as she is undergoing treatment in London for throat cancer.
In a televised address, Sharif's daughter Maryam, surrounded by jubilant supporters, said the win proved people's love for Sharif and rejected his disqualification.
- Most viewed
- Don’t fret over conceiving with irregular periods
- Don’t overdo stress or make-up on wedding day
- Female Sherpa from Nepal scales new heights
- Get the smear out before cervical cancer conquers you
- Indian court paves way for 'Padmaavat’ all-India release on 25 Jan
- Woman killed in city road crash
- PM escapes 17 assassination plots, attacks: Law minister
- 20 January Deaths
- 20 January Births
- Suu Kyi says Rohingya mass grave investigation positive step
- Committee formed to implement 9th wage board for journos: Tarana
- Canadian police say attack on girl who claimed a man cut her hijab ‘did not happen’
- Strong Coast Guard important for world maritime security: US
- Pranab Mukherjee meets Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina
- Sri Lanka lifts 38-yr ban on women buying, selling alcohol
- PM urges developed countries to stand beside Bangladesh
- ‘Zombie’ singer Dolores O’Riordan dies at 46
- Singer Shammi Akhtar passes away