Nawaz Sharif's wife wins Lahore by-poll
Published : 18 Sep 2017, 12:05
A Pakistani minister says the wife of ousted Pakistani premier Nawaz Sharif has won his parliament seat which fell vacant after the country's Supreme Court disqualified him for concealing assets, according to unofficial results.
Climate Change minister Mushahid Ullah Khan says Kulsoom Nawaz Sharif of the Pakistan Muslim League party won the crucial by-election Sunday by securing 61,254 votes for the seat for the eastern city of Lahore. She defeated key rival Tahreek-e-Insaf party's candidate Dr. Yasmin Rashid.
Rashid conceded defeat while talking to reporters and supporters.
Sharif's ailing wife secured the seat in absentia, as she is undergoing treatment in London for throat cancer.
In a televised address, Sharif's daughter Maryam, surrounded by jubilant supporters, said the win proved people's love for Sharif and rejected his disqualification.
- Most viewed
- Weekend special: Healthy Spring Rolls
- Antibiotic resistance genes in air pose threat to human health: Study
- No need to react to marriage rumours
- Sheikh Hasina to inaugurate 23 bridges, Fatehpur Railway Overpass
- Williams rebounds from worst loss to advance in Cincy tennis
- BD beat Nepal 3-0 to emerge group top in SAFF U-15 Women’s championship
- Omarosa’s White House recordings fuel Trump woes
- 14 August Events
- 14 August Births
- Did you know Salman was the first choice to play Aishwarya’s brother in Josh?
- 9 August Events
- PM visits hospital to see Sechchasebak League leader and four injured students
- Love for ex boyfriend!
- Bangladeshi students encouraged to consider education in Australia
- My mother had capacity to take any decision: Prime Minister
- Govt working to strengthen democracy: Prime Minister
- 8 August Events
- Migrant boat sinks off Turkey killing 7 children, 2 women