Woman burnt to death ‘by husband’ for failing to get MBBS seat
Published : 19 Sep 2017, 13:13
A 25-year-old aspiring doctor from Hyderabad was allegedly killed by her husband for failing to get admission in an MBBS course, the police suspect.
The woman’s parents alleged it was a planned murder and have also filed a complaint alleging dowry harassment. The man and his parents have been arrested.
According to the police, Rushi Kumar, the woman’s husband who is a software engineer, called Harika’s mother on Sunday night and told her that she had set herself on fire. However, her family didn’t believe him. They alleged that she was burnt to death by Rushi after she failed to get an MBBS seat.
The incident took place in LB Nagar’s Rock Town Colony near Hyderabad. The woman has been trying to crack the medical entrance exam for some time, but this year, too, she didn’t qualify.
She reportedly got selected for Bachelor of Dental Surgery at a private college. But her 26-year-old husband was unconvinced. He even threatened to divorce her.
‘Harika and Rushi got married two years ago. He had been harassing her as she didn’t get an MBBS seat. She got (admission in) BDS this year.
He also harassed her for dowry... It is a planned murder,’ Harika’s mother and sister alleged.
‘Harika’s husband claims she committed suicide, but after we visited the scene, it appears to be a murder. We suspect that the man killed his wife,’ ACP (LB Nagar division) Venugopala Rao said.
Rao added that the exact cause of her death, whether she was strangled before her body was set on fire, will be known after her autopsy. The report is awaited and investigation is on, he said.
- Most viewed
- Katrina most popular actress outside India
- Zeenat Aman files rape case against a businessman
- High meat intake may up liver disease risk
- World Meteorological Day observed
- Player accuses Australia's AFL of sexism
- EU recalls Moscow envoy after blaming Russia over spy attack
- Pakistani woman lawmaker becomes opposition leader in Senate
- Playboy model apologises to Melania, says Trump tried to pay her after sex
- PM enjoys cultural show at Bangabandhu Stadium
- Jacqueline Fernandez gets into Madhuri Dixit mode
- Bangabandhu's 99th birthday being celebrated
- Govt efforts helped BD attain criteria to graduate from LDC: PM
- Bangladesh eligible for LDC graduation
- Magura man ‘kills’ wife for dowry
- 17 March Deaths
- Lawyers file to prosecute Suu Kyi for crimes against humanity
- PM pays tribute to Bangabandhu on his birthday
- Spring cleaning for your home – literally!