Woman burnt to death ‘by husband’ for failing to get MBBS seat
Published : 19 Sep 2017, 13:13
A 25-year-old aspiring doctor from Hyderabad was allegedly killed by her husband for failing to get admission in an MBBS course, the police suspect.
The woman’s parents alleged it was a planned murder and have also filed a complaint alleging dowry harassment. The man and his parents have been arrested.
According to the police, Rushi Kumar, the woman’s husband who is a software engineer, called Harika’s mother on Sunday night and told her that she had set herself on fire. However, her family didn’t believe him. They alleged that she was burnt to death by Rushi after she failed to get an MBBS seat.
The incident took place in LB Nagar’s Rock Town Colony near Hyderabad. The woman has been trying to crack the medical entrance exam for some time, but this year, too, she didn’t qualify.
She reportedly got selected for Bachelor of Dental Surgery at a private college. But her 26-year-old husband was unconvinced. He even threatened to divorce her.
‘Harika and Rushi got married two years ago. He had been harassing her as she didn’t get an MBBS seat. She got (admission in) BDS this year.
He also harassed her for dowry... It is a planned murder,’ Harika’s mother and sister alleged.
‘Harika’s husband claims she committed suicide, but after we visited the scene, it appears to be a murder. We suspect that the man killed his wife,’ ACP (LB Nagar division) Venugopala Rao said.
Rao added that the exact cause of her death, whether she was strangled before her body was set on fire, will be known after her autopsy. The report is awaited and investigation is on, he said.
- Most viewed
- Have mushroom-rich breakfast to maintain healthy weight
- Fashion industry not real life: Claudia Schiffer
- Yuriko Koike who may become Japan's first woman PM
- Sushma Swaraj in city
- Full verdict commuting Oishee's death released
- Three young men beat elderly woman to death
- Hasina to Guterres: ‘Put more pressure on Myanmar’
- Sushma Swaraj arrives today
- 22 October Deaths
- 18 October Events
- 18 October Births
- Hillary slams Trump’s ‘dangerous’ war of words with North Korea
- 18 October Deaths
- Now Suu Kyi’s name removed from Oxford college common room
- Hair loss drug taken by Trump may cut prostate cancer risk
- Magura schoolgirl commits suicide
- Raped then beaten up for protesting
- Car bomb kills Maltese journalist who exposed Panama paper link