World must join to stop Rohingya genocide: Shabana Azmi
Published : 23 Sep 2017, 15:12
The violence against Rohingya Muslims in Myanmar amounted to genocide and the world must get together to stop it, says actor-activist Shabana Azmi.
"We have written a long letter to the UN Security Council which has been signed by me and several other artistes. In such difficult times, there is a need for confidence building", said Azmi while speaking at a book launch program in India September 20, according to a report published in Outlook.
"Whatever has been happening to Rohingyas is wrong and it is genocide. I think the whole world should get together to stop this", she said.
A group of 12 Nobel laureates and 18 other eminent global citizens led by civil society leader Muhammad Yunus recently sent an open letter to member states of the UN Security Council, urging them to immediately intervene in the humanitarian crisis in Myanmar's Rakhine state.
Rohingyas are minority Muslims in western Myanmar and have been fleeing their homes following an army crackdown on their villages that has left hundreds dead.
The Rohingya refugees face deportation in India with the government terming them illegal immigrants and a threat to the security of the country, reports the Outlook.
- Most viewed
- Doob to represent Bangladesh in 91st Oscar
- Prime Minister leaves London for New York
- Rock your locks with stylish chic buns
- Tempting sev puri to satisfy your craving
- James Bond to be back in 2020
- Mother ‘hacked dead’ by ‘drug addict’ son in Kushtia
- 23 September Events
- 23 September Births
- 23 September Deaths
- 10% pass in Dhaka University ‘Ga’ unit admission test
- Bangladesh least innovative country in Asia
- Seven-day skin care routine for lovely looks
- Prime Minister to address 73rd Session UNGA September 27
- PM leaves for London Friday en route to NY to join 73rd UNGA
- Instant triple talaq an offence in India
- 2 hijras among 3 hurt in Savar gun attack
- PM unveils ‘World Skills Bangladesh’ logo
- Bangladesh hand Lebanon 8-0 thrashing