Honeypreet confessed plotting violence: SIT
Published : 12 Oct 2017, 15:50
The Special Investigation Team (SIT) probing the violence that followed the conviction of Dera Sacha Sauda chief Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh in Panchkula, told a special court that the godman's adopted daughter Honeypreet has confessed to have plotted the unrest that left at least 35 dead.
While seeking the extension of Honeypreet and her associate Sukhdeep Kaur's custody on Tuesday, officials claimed that Honeypreet had not only confessed to have prepared the plan but also carried out campaigning through video clips that instigated the crowd.
The SIT said Sukhdeep also confessed to her involvement in the violence and Honeypreet's driver Rakesh Kumar Arora said she had disbursed Rs 1.25 crore to some people from Panchkula to create law and order problems.
Meanwhile, a team of health officials from Sirsa civil hospital visited the Dera Sacha Sauda headquarters on Wednesday to examine trust chairperson Vipassana Insan. The team, led by the deputy civil surgeon and accompanied by a battery of cops, comprised a chest specialist, a physician, a surgeon and a gynaecologist.
Vipassana had failed to join the probe before the Panchkula special investigation team (SIT) on Tuesday.
In a communication sent through a dera messenger, she had cited health reasons for not reaching Panchkula. She has now been asked her to join the probe in Panchkula on Thursday.
Haryana DGP BS Sandhu said Vipassana was called for questioning in the presence of Honeypreet to verify certain facts related to Panchkula violence after the dera head's conviction on August 25.
"The investigations have reached a crucial stage. Hence, her presence is required for verification. We will wait for the doctors' report before proceeding further," he said.
- Most viewed
- Committee formed to implement 9th wage board for journos: Tarana
- Strong Coast Guard important for world maritime security: US
- PM urges developed countries to stand beside Bangladesh
- Canadian police say attack on girl who claimed a man cut her hijab ‘did not happen’
- ‘Zombie’ singer Dolores O’Riordan dies at 46
- Singer Shammi Akhtar passes away
- Indian girl dies after gang rapists rupture her lungs
- Do you check social media accounts of former partners? Beware, you may be micro-cheating
- You may be getting the portion sizes wrong