Merkel wants EU aid cut to Turkey for democratic backsliding
Published : 20 Oct 2017, 13:17
Germany Chancellor Angela Merkel is calling for cuts in European Union financial assistance aimed at helping Turkey get ready for eventual EU membership, given what she called a troubling direction the country has taken on democracy and rule of law, Fox news reported.
Merkel said Thursday as she arrived at an EU summit that she considers Turkey's developments on democracy "very negative, not only because many Germans are under arrest."
According to the source, Merkel, however, praised Turkey for helping to stop the massive flow of migrants into Europe as part of a deal with the EU.
Turkey's bid to join the EU has stalled following a crackdown on dissent that followed a failed coup attempt in 2016. President Recep Tayyip Erdogan's government has arrested several German citizens, including journalists and a human rights worker.
Source: Fox news
- Most viewed
- 'Sex and the City' star enters New York governor race
- Speaker off to Saudi to perform Umrah
- Zuckerberg apologises for Facebook data debacle
- People of Bangladesh can achieve anything
- Bangladesh set to celebrate LDC graduation eligibility
- 4 held over Garo woman, daughter murdered
- Gang-rape in microbus: Mastermind held in Manikganj
- PM honored at LDC graduation ceremony
- BD seeks UN support for its inclusive approach towards women dev
- Jacqueline Fernandez gets into Madhuri Dixit mode
- First injured Bangladeshi victim of Nepal plane crash brought to Dhaka
- Tasmania elects majority of women in Australia state first
- Bangabandhu's 99th birthday being celebrated
- Barbecued Lamb with Mashed Potatoes Recipe
- Govt efforts helped BD attain criteria to graduate from LDC: PM
- Bangladesh eligible for LDC graduation
- Donald Trump Jr’s wife files for divorce
- Magura man ‘kills’ wife for dowry