At least 27 dead in shooting at Texas church
Published : 06 Nov 2017, 11:33
A gunman opened fire inside a Baptist church in the US state of Texas, killing at least 27 people, including the pastor’s 14-year-old daughter, officials said on Monday.
The incident, which left at least 20 other people injured, occurred yesterday at the First Baptist Church in Sutherland Springs in Wilson County where a man in “full gear” barged into the church and began shooting parishioners.
The gunman was killed in the aftermath, the local media quoted police as saying, although it is not sure if the deputies killed the shooter or he took his own life.
“Upto 27 people are dead,” MSNBC quoted Wilson County Commissioner Albert Gamez Jr. as saying.
One of the victims of the mass shooting was the church’s pastor Frank Pomeroy’s daughter, Annabelle.
“I was not at the church when the shooting took place. My youngest daughter, Annabelle, was,” Pomeroy told ABC News.
Among the injured, 10 have been transported to nearby trauma hospital, one most severe was air lifted to San Antonio military center, while the others have been transferred to several close-by hospitals.
Meanwhile, hospital sources have not yet commented on the number of people being treated.
Unconfirmed early reports say that a child is also among the victims.
President Donald Trump, who is currently on a two-week tour of east Asia, expressed condolences to the victims of the mass shooting.
“May God be w/ the people of Sutherland Springs, Texas.
The FBI & law enforcement are on the scene. I am monitoring the situation from Japan,” Trump said in a tweet.
Texas Governor Greg Abbott condemned the incident labelling it as an “evil act.”
“Our prayers are with all who were harmed by this evil act. Our thanks to law enforcement for their response. More details from DPS soon,” he wrote on Twitter.
A KSAT-TV reporter, in a live report on Facebook Live, said a man in full gear came into the church and unloaded several rounds, and then took off in a vehicle.
The FBI personnel at the scene said only one gunman was reported.
- Most viewed
- Don’t fret over conceiving with irregular periods
- Don’t overdo stress or make-up on wedding day
- Female Sherpa from Nepal scales new heights
- Get the smear out before cervical cancer conquers you
- Indian court paves way for 'Padmaavat’ all-India release on 25 Jan
- Woman killed in city road crash
- PM escapes 17 assassination plots, attacks: Law minister
- 20 January Deaths
- 20 January Births
- Suu Kyi says Rohingya mass grave investigation positive step
- Committee formed to implement 9th wage board for journos: Tarana
- Canadian police say attack on girl who claimed a man cut her hijab ‘did not happen’
- Strong Coast Guard important for world maritime security: US
- PM urges developed countries to stand beside Bangladesh
- Pranab Mukherjee meets Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina
- Sri Lanka lifts 38-yr ban on women buying, selling alcohol
- ‘Zombie’ singer Dolores O’Riordan dies at 46
- Singer Shammi Akhtar passes away