Sweden minister to visit Bangladesh, Myanmar, Vietnam
Published : 15 Nov 2017, 14:18
Minister for Foreign Affairs of Sweden Margot Wallström will visit Bangladesh, Myanamar and Vietnam from November 19 to 23.
She will start her tour by visiting refugee camps in Bangladesh, to which more than 620 000 Rohingya have fled from violence and persecution in Myanmar since August, according to a press release published on the Government offices of Sweden website.
In addition to refugees, Wallström will meet representatives of the government of Bangladesh, the United Nations high commissioner for refugees, the International Organisation for Migration and the International Committee of the Red Cross.
The visit is being made together with EU High Representative for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy Federica Mogherini and Germany’s Federal Minister for Foreign Affairs Sigmar Gabriel.
According to the release, peace, sustainable development and increased cooperation between Europe and Asia are among the issues on the agenda when Wallström then meets with her European and Asian counterparts in Myanmar's capital, Naypyidaw, for an Asia-Europe Meeting (ASEM).
The trip will conclude with a visit to Hanoi, Vietnam, for political discussions and meetings with civil society.
- Most viewed
- British PM’s trade envoy Rushanara in city
- Housewife gang-raped in Chattogram
- 22 July Events
- 22 July Births
- 22 July Deaths
- Want to work for people until death: Prime Minister
- Rabindra-Nazrul Jayanti celebrated in London
- People stream to Suhrawardy Udyan for Hasina's reception
- Temperature may fall by (1-2)°C over country
- ‘We’re on top of the world anyways’: Croatia’s president
- Use jute bags, break up with plastics: Prime Minister
- AL to hold mass reception to Prime Minister today
- France crowned World Cup 2018 champions after beating Croatia
- Bangladeshi Sharmin wins Commonwealth recognition
- British PM’s trade envoy Rushanara due today
- HSC, equivalent exams results tomorrow
- World Cup Pussy Riot pitch intruders jailed for 15 days
- 'I had to make my kidnapper fall in love with me': Chloe Ayling