Fifteen women killed in food aid stampede in Morocco
Published : 20 Nov 2017, 10:52
Fifteen people were killed and five more injured when a stampede broke out in a southwestern Moroccan town on Sunday as food aid was being distributed in a market, the Interior Ministry said.
A hospital source put the death toll at 18, adding that most victims were women who had been scrambling for food handed out by a rich man in the small coastal town of Sidi Boulaalam.
A local journalist said the donor had organised similar handouts before, but this year some 1,000 people arrived, storming an iron barrier under which several women were crushed.
King Mohammed ordered that the victims’ families be given any assistance they needed and the wounded treated at his cost, the ministry said in a statement, adding that a criminal investigation had been opened.
Last month, the king dismissed the ministers of education, planning and housing and health after an economic agency found ‘imbalances’ in implementing a development plan to fight poverty in the northern Rif region.
The Rif saw numerous protests after a fishmonger was accidentally crushed to death in a garbage truck in October 2016 after a confrontation with police, and he became a symbol of the effects of corruption and official abuse.
In July, the king pardoned dozens of people arrested in the protests and accused local officials of stoking public anger by being too slow to implement development projects.
- Most viewed
- Amaranth Walnut Salad Recipe
- Teenager held for ‘raping’ Sunamganj minor girl
- Power generation sets new record; crosses 10,000 MW
- Woman found dead in Narsingdi
- 2 years of Tonu murder: Protesters demand justice
- Bangladesh's graduation to developing country a slap to critics: PM
- 16-year-old Mitu first Bangladeshi girl to cross Bangla Channel
- Profile: Bangadeshis killed in US-Bangla plane crash
- 20 March Deaths
- FBHRO starts its journey
- Govt declares mourning day today
- Jacqueline Fernandez gets into Madhuri Dixit mode
- Schoolgirl stabbed in Chapainawabganj
- First injured Bangladeshi victim of Nepal plane crash brought to Dhaka
- Bangabandhu's 99th birthday being celebrated
- Tasmania elects majority of women in Australia state first
- Barbecued Lamb with Mashed Potatoes Recipe
- Checking early marriage to protect kids from malnutrition: Dr Shirin