Fifteen women killed in food aid stampede in Morocco
Published : 20 Nov 2017, 10:52
Fifteen people were killed and five more injured when a stampede broke out in a southwestern Moroccan town on Sunday as food aid was being distributed in a market, the Interior Ministry said.
A hospital source put the death toll at 18, adding that most victims were women who had been scrambling for food handed out by a rich man in the small coastal town of Sidi Boulaalam.
A local journalist said the donor had organised similar handouts before, but this year some 1,000 people arrived, storming an iron barrier under which several women were crushed.
King Mohammed ordered that the victims’ families be given any assistance they needed and the wounded treated at his cost, the ministry said in a statement, adding that a criminal investigation had been opened.
Last month, the king dismissed the ministers of education, planning and housing and health after an economic agency found ‘imbalances’ in implementing a development plan to fight poverty in the northern Rif region.
The Rif saw numerous protests after a fishmonger was accidentally crushed to death in a garbage truck in October 2016 after a confrontation with police, and he became a symbol of the effects of corruption and official abuse.
In July, the king pardoned dozens of people arrested in the protests and accused local officials of stoking public anger by being too slow to implement development projects.
- Most viewed
- France-Croatia to fight for World Cup 2018 title tonight
- What you should know about Croatian President Kolinda Kitarovic
- Elizabeth's memorable encounters with US presidents
- Asif Akbar to act in movies
- PM asks SSF not to isolate her from people
- Bangladesh emerge all-win champions in Women's WT20 Qualifiers
- Putin, Macron, Kitarovic to watch World Cup final
- AL to fulfill pledges if voted to power again: Prime Minister
- US woman survives 7 days on radiator water after Jeep crash
- Prime Minister visits Pabna today
- 11 July Deaths
- Tigresses ensure participation of ICC World T20
- Bangladesh Tigress will face Scotland tonight
- Bangladesh women’s cricket team rout Netherlands by 7 wkts
- Teen arrested for dancing in Iran
- Six boys exit from Thai cave, Rescue operation underway
- No more ‘hot women’- FIFA wants fewer images of attractive female fans in stadiums
- 'Rescued 8 Thai boys in good mental, physical state'