Pope speaks out on violence against women
Published : 21 Jan 2018, 13:22
Pope Francis, who is on a visit to Peru, has spoken out about violence against women in Latin America.
Speaking at a Mass in the northern city of Trujillo, the Pope called the violence "a plague" that needed to be combated across the region.
According to the UN, half of the 25 countries with the largest number of murders of women are in Latin America.
The Argentine Pope, 81, is on the second and final leg of a week-long regional tour.
"There are so many cases of violence that stay silenced behind so many walls," the Pope said on Saturday.
"I'm calling on you to fight against this source of suffering including legislation and a culture that rejects every type of violence."
On Thursday, the pontiff arrived in Peru from Chile, where he became embroiled in a row over clerical sex abuse.
He drew anger by accusing victims of a paedophile priest of slandering a bishop who they say tried to cover up the priest's crimes.
The Catholic Church suffered a blow in Chile in 2010 when Karadima was publicly accused of molesting several teenage boys in the capital, Santiago, starting in the 1980s, reports BBC.
In 2011 the Vatican found him guilty and sentenced him to a lifetime of "penance and prayer".
He never faced criminal prosecution in Chile as too much time had passed, but the judge who heard victims' testimony in a year-long investigation described them as "truthful and reliable".
- Most viewed
- Nation set to pay homage to language martyrs
- Air fryer – ‘Zero’ oil frying
- Emma donates 1 million pounds for victims of sexual harassment
- Keep every child alive, says Unicef
- Maintain distinctive characters of Bangla: PM
- 21 eminent citizens receive Ekushey Padak
- Trump blasts Oprah
- 20 February Deaths
- 20 February Births
- Open Access Movement for Open Data, Education and Research
- Make everyday of your life Valentine’s Day with your sweetheart
- Oru Adaar Love special teaser starring Priya Prakash is out (video)
- Woman who got attention by giving birth to 7 kids has died
- Court takes charges into cognizance over assaulting woman by policemen
- Jennifer Aniston, Justin Theroux separate
- At least 17 killed in US school shooting
- 21 women raped, assaulted on public transport in 13 months: Report
- Youth to die for killing Sherpur housewife