Red Cross: 21 resigned or fired since 2015 in sex cases
Published : 25 Feb 2018, 18:23
The International Committee of the Red Cross has joined the list of prominent charities that have uncovered sexual misconduct among its staff.
ICRC Director-General Yves Daccord says 21 staff members have resigned or been fired since 2015 after violating policy by paying for sexual services. Two others did not have their contracts renewed because of suspected sexual misconduct.
"I am deeply saddened to report these numbers," he said.
"This behavior is a betrayal of the people and the communities we are there to serve."
Daccord said because of the decentralized nature of the sprawling aid agency, which has more than 17,000 employees worldwide, it is possible that other incidents were not reported or properly handled.
Plan International UK has also disclosed wrongdoing. The charity group says it has confirmed six cases of sexual abuse of children by staff, volunteers or partner organizations and has pledged to do more to prevent misconduct.
Charities in the UK have been under increased scrutiny in recent weeks following allegations that senior staff from the British aid organization Oxfam used prostitutes and downloaded pornography while working in Haiti after the 2010 earthquake
- Most viewed
- Seven-day skin care routine for lovely looks
- Hasina, Modi inaugurate Bangladesh-India oil pipeline
- Emmys full of surprises, 'Marvelous Mrs. Maisel' dominates
- 18 September Events
- 18 September Births
- 18 September Deaths
- PM leaves for London Friday en route to NY to join 73rd UNGA
- PM unveils ‘World Skills Bangladesh’ logo
- Hasina, Modi to open Bangladesh-India oil pipeline today
- 14 September Births
- Country is marching forward: Sheikh Hasina
- Dhaka University admission tests begin today
- 6 female activists of Jamaat held in Bogura
- 14 September Deaths
- 14 September Events
- Instagram rolls out new feature to help users with drug issues
- Women should be proud of their beauty: Jhanvi Kapoor
- Halle Berry to make directorial debut with bruised