Hindu woman elected to Pakistan's senate
Published : 05 Mar 2018, 15:11
Pakistan elected its first female senator from the lowest Dalit caste in weekend polls which also saw the ruling party strengthen its hand ahead of a general election in the Muslim-majority country.
The surprise victory of opposition candidate Krishna Kumari Kohli in the Senate election stirred a wave of optimism on social media, as Pakistanis celebrated the rare success for a woman from a marginalised community at the bottom of the Hindu caste hierarchy.
"I feel proud, I am thankful to Pakistan People's Party that they nominated me," Kohli told AFP yesterday.
Pakistan's Hindus, who make up around two percent of the country's 200 million people, have long faced economic and social discrimination.
Members of parliament and of provincial assemblies cast ballots in secret Saturday to fill half the seats in the Senate, or upper house, before elections due this summer for the lower house of parliament.
The ruling Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) won 15 of the 52 seats up for election to secure a total of 33 spots in the 104-seat upper house. Support from allies is likely to give it a dominating majority.
The Pakistan People's Party (PPP) won 12 and the Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf party of former cricket star Imran Khan came third with six.
- Most viewed
- Provide stipends among poor students properly: PM
- One lakh Rohingyas to be shifted to Bhasanchar: PM Sheikh Hasina
- Woman gives birth to world’s seventh ‘mermaid baby’
- Rohingya 'militants' massacred Hindus: Amnesty
- Muktamoni dies after battle with life
- 23 May Events
- 23 May Births
- 23 May Deaths
- Actress Tazin Ahmed passes away due to heart attack
- Around 60 babies a day born in Rohingya camps in Bangladesh: UNICEF
- PM Sheikh Hasina’s Homecoming Day Today
- Saima for incorporating mental healthcare in disaster management plan
- Senate votes to confirm Haspel as CIA`s first female chief
- 10 Tips to Pre-Prep Meals for Ramadan to Save Time and Effort
- PM for Nuremberg trial system for war criminals
- Ramadan Recipes: Baked Potatoes
- Royal wedding 2018: Finishing touches ahead of big day
- Kamala Bhattacharya: First female martyr in Bengali Language Movement