5 die in forest fire in southern India
Published : 13 Mar 2018, 01:18
At least five college students have been killed in a forest fire in the southern Indian state of Tamil Nadu, police said Monday.
The fire broke out Sunday when a group of 40 people, mostly college students, went trekking in Kurangini hills, some 540 km from state capital Chennai.
"Indian Air Force choppers were pressed into service Sunday night. While 30 of trekkers were rescued, the charred bodies of five students have been found," a police official said.
The search operation of other trekkers were on, he said, adding that those rescued had been admitted to a local government hospital for minor injuries.
Forest fires are uncommon in India.
- Most viewed
- Doob to represent Bangladesh in 91st Oscar
- Prime Minister leaves London for New York
- Rock your locks with stylish chic buns
- Tempting sev puri to satisfy your craving
- James Bond to be back in 2020
- Mother ‘hacked dead’ by ‘drug addict’ son in Kushtia
- 23 September Events
- 23 September Births
- 23 September Deaths
- Seven-day skin care routine for lovely looks
- Prime Minister to address 73rd Session UNGA September 27
- Instant triple talaq an offence in India
- PM leaves for London Friday en route to NY to join 73rd UNGA
- Bangladesh hand Lebanon 8-0 thrashing
- PM unveils ‘World Skills Bangladesh’ logo
- Hasina, Modi to open Bangladesh-India oil pipeline today
- Virtual or real? Fashion world split over digital supermodels
- UK Foreign Secy Hunt to meet Suu Kyi during Myanmar visit