9 people shot in Canada, shooter dead: police
Published : 23 Jul 2018, 11:18
Toronto police says nine people have been shot and the shooter is dead after a gunman opened fire in the Toronto neighborhood known as Greektown.
Toronto police tweets that the condition of the victims is not known yet and said a young girl is one of the victims. They say the dead shooter is not among the nine victims.
Police spokesman Mark Pugash says it’s too early to say whether the shooting is terrorism.
A gunman has opened fire with witnesses saying victims could be seen scattered across the ground for “many blocks”, News corp Australia reported.
The victims have been sent to trauma centres across the city after the shooting started around 10 p.m. on Sunday outside the restaurant on Danforth Avenue in Greektown, Toronto police Sergeant Glenn Russell told CNN.
Witnesses said they heard more than a dozen shots ring out from inside the busy restaurant. A man dressed in black was seen in the street, firing a gun between 15 and 20 times, the police was told.
Paramedics have confirmed to the media that the victims have “significant injuries” and one of them is a child, CNN said.
Eight people have been transported to various hospitals — six to trauma hospitals, one to a paediatric trauma centre and one to another hospital, Toronto Paramedic Services told CNN partner CTV.
Two more people were en route to another hospital — taking the total to 10 patients so far, the Canadian station reported.
Fire Services is assisting with efforts, Toronto Fire Captain Adrian Ratushniak told CNN.
The police said it will give more details soon. The witnesses have been taken from the scene by bus to be interviewed at nearby police stations.
The scene of the attack is about 14.5 km from Yonge Street, where a motorist went on a ramming rampage on April 23, which left 10 people dead and another 15 injured.
- Most viewed
- 16 August Events
- 16 August Births
- 16 August Deaths
- Bangabandhu's assassination most shameful incident in world history: Envoy
- Speaker pays homage to Bangabandhu
- Prime Minister pays homage to Bangabandhu in Tungipara
- President, PM pay homage to Bangabandhu
- Nation observes National Mourning Day today
- 15 August Births
- Bangladeshi women footballers beat Pakistan by 14-0
- PM greets U-15 women footballers for victory over Pakistan
- Sexual violence a tool to force ethnic minorities to migrate: Experts
- Prevent cancer, save life
- US judge halts mother-daughter deportation
- Williams rebounds from worst loss to advance in Cincy tennis
- BD beat Nepal 3-0 to emerge group top in SAFF U-15 Women’s championship
- Tofu, soy milk can boost bone strength in women
- With new category, Oscars are now a popularity contest