Migrant boat sinks off Turkey killing 7 children, 2 women
Published : 09 Aug 2018, 15:38
Turkey's state-run news agency says a boat carrying migrants has capsized off the Turkish coast in the Aegean sea, killing seven children and two women.
Anadolu Agency says four other migrants were rescued from the rubber boat that sank early on Thursday off the resort of Kusadasi.
There was no information on the nationalities of the migrants, who were attempting to reach one of the Greek islands near Kusadasi.
Kusadasi district administrator Muammer Aksoy told Anadolu the bodies have been recovered and no further migrants are reported missing.
Many migrants continue to attempt to reach the Greek islands from the Turkish coast, hoping to eventually move to more prosperous European Union countries. Others try to cross the river that runs along the land border between the two countries.
- Most viewed
- 20 August Births
- 20 August Deaths
- Student, Trolled For Selling Fish, Donates Rs. 1.5 Lakh For Flood Aid
- Saudi feminists launch online radio
- Child passive smoking 'risk adult diseases'
- 16 nurses get pregnant at Arizona hospital
- The 18th Asian Games got off to a glorious start
- Girls' supremacy finally over
- Priyanka Chopra, Nick Jonas are officially engaged
- Williams rebounds from worst loss to advance in Cincy tennis
- Sheikh Hasina to inaugurate 23 bridges, Fatehpur Railway Overpass
- BD beat Nepal 3-0 to emerge group top in SAFF U-15 Women’s championship
- U-15 girls take on Bhutan in SAFF semi
- Caned by headmaster, schoolgirl kills self
- Antibiotic resistance genes in air pose threat to human health: Study
- SAFF U-15 girls reach final beating Bhutan 5-0
- Woman held in city for ‘spreading rumour on Facebook’
- Saff U-15 girls eye more glory in final today