Vote casting begins at Gaibandha sadar upazila
Published : 07 May 2016, 18:45
Vote casting to elect the Union Parishad (UP) chairmen, general members and female reserved members of six unions under Sadar upazila of the district has begun this morning amid tight security measures of the law enforcers.
Election Office sources said a total of 31 candidates for six chairmen posts, 279 candidates for 54 general member posts and 101 candidates for 18 female reserved member posts are contesting in the polls from Kuptala, Sahapara, Ramchandrapur, Badiakhali, Boali and Ballamjhar unions.
As many as 1, 46, 463 voters including 75,020 female ones of the unions will cast their votes at 61 centres with 454 booths and the voting will continue till 4 pm without any break, said Shahinur Alam, upazila election officer.
Members of the RAB, BGB including other law enforcers are patrolling the roads and important places of the unions so that the voters could cast their votes without any difficulties; said Sadar Upazila Nirbahi Officer (UNO) Ashraful Momin Khan.
District Election Officer M Shahinur Islam Pramanik said a large number of voters were seen to cast their votes standing in long queue in the centres while he was visiting different centres of the unions.
- Most viewed
- Honey Chilli Potato
- Staying in shape may make you live longer
- Oscars board expels producer Harvey Weinstein from Academy amid sexual assault allegations
- Safa takes a break from TV series
- Facebook's Sandberg favors release of Russia-linked ads
- AL wants next polls be free, fair: PM
- 15 October Deaths
- 15 October Births
- 15 October Events
- 10 October Events
- 9 bodies of Rohingyas washed ashore in Teknaf
- Girl gang raped in front of her boyfriend
- World Mental Health Day being observed
- Sharapova triumphs in Tianjin opener
- Blue Whale: Class 9 student saved by Indian teacher
- 10 October Deaths
- 10 October Births
- Hormone therapy ‘safe’ for women with migraine?