Hostage crisis as cops, criminals face off in Gulshan
Published : 01 Jul 2016, 23:27
Police and suspected criminals are trading gunfire in Gulshan diplomatic zone. Several people including foreign nationals are believed to be held hostage.
According to intelligence gathered by our correspondent at spot, about five assailants entered one Holey Artisan Bakery restaurant on Road 79 and opened gunfire around 9:20pm.
Huge number of policemen and Rapid Action Battalion (RAB) members cordoned off the restaurant. Assailants were hurling bombs when this report was filed around 10:46pm.
Several people including policemen are believed to have been shot at scene. Televisions were covering the incident live and showed some people shot.
ARMED ASSAILANTS TOOK CHEF HOSTAGE: WITNESS
Sumon Reza, a kitchen staff of Holey Artisan Bakery, who managed to escape, said several armed assailants entered the restaurant around 8:45pm and took the chief chef hostage.
“They blasted several crude bombs causing wide-scale panic among everyone. I managed to flee during this confusion,” he said. “They came armed with pistols, swords and bombs.”
“They shouted Allah hu Akbar before blasting the bombs,” he said.
- Most viewed
- Keto or vegan? Hear it from the nutritionist
- Happy Birthday Priyanka Chopra: 5 times actress turned heads
- Wonder benefits of coconut oil
- Google faces record 4.3-bn-euro EU fine over Android
- HSC, equivalent exams results tomorrow
- Sonam Kapoor's Truly 'The Good Wife'
- Use jute bags, break up with plastics: Prime Minister
- Quota movement is discreet campaign against FFs children
- Theresa May wins key Brexit vote despite ongoing rebellion
- Prime Minister visits Pabna today
- ‘We’re on top of the world anyways’: Croatia’s president
- What you should know about Croatian President Kolinda Kitarovic
- Tigresses ensure participation of ICC World T20
- Bangladesh emerge all-win champions in Women's WT20 Qualifiers
- France-Croatia to fight for World Cup 2018 title tonight
- Ice Cream Day | Date, history and everything else you want to know
- France crowned World Cup 2018 champions after beating Croatia
- No more ‘hot women’- FIFA wants fewer images of attractive female fans in stadiums