Bumper jute production expected in Faridpur
Published : 09 Jul 2016, 15:23
Department of Agriculture Extension (DAE) of Faridpur district is expecting a bumper jute production in the current season.
Jute, the principal cash crop of the district, has been cultivated on 82,000 hectares of land with the target of producing 7 lakh 40 thousand bales of jute in the current year, the DAE sources said.
According to the sources, last year jute was cultivated on 77, 339 hectares of land that produced about 7 lakh bales of jute.
Under the initiative of present government as the cultivators have been getting good price that has encouraged the growers to bring more land under the jute cultivation.
The ever increasing demand of jute goods particularly which was under the clutch of synthetic fibers helped increase the demand of jute, the source added.
Government has framed law for banning synthetic bags, rice containing bags if the law is violated by any one he or they are supposed to face punishment.
Initially immediate after sowing of jute seed there was almost drought like situation that was very alarming for the farmers but that scare has been over because of sufficient rain fall and temperature and necessary humidity, the DAE sources said.
The source further said that harvesting will begin soon in all the nine upazilas of the district.
- Most viewed
- ASI sued over rape in Chittagong
- Guides to pack jewellery while travelling
- New project launched to mitigate NY sound pollution
- Eurozone business activity slows: Markit survey
- Choi Soon-sil: South Korean ex-president's friend jailed
- 9 Bangladeshi women and children released from Indian jail after 4 years
- PM pays homage to Bangabandhu on AL's 68th founding anniversary
- AL to stay beside people: PM
- Give scope to AL to serve people time and again: PM
- Protect yourself from deadly brain tumours
- Banani rape indictment hearing Jul 9
- PM seeks Moroccan investment in economic zones
- 5 to die for killing housewife after rape in C’nawabganj
- Beyonce gives birth to twins
- Priyanka Chopra kicks off shooting for her second hollywood film
- Folk queen Momtaz brings two new songs this Eid
- NASA tests flexible solar array on space station
- PM hosts iftar for eminent personalities, poets, artists