Bumper jute production expected in Faridpur
Published : 09 Jul 2016, 15:23
Department of Agriculture Extension (DAE) of Faridpur district is expecting a bumper jute production in the current season.
Jute, the principal cash crop of the district, has been cultivated on 82,000 hectares of land with the target of producing 7 lakh 40 thousand bales of jute in the current year, the DAE sources said.
According to the sources, last year jute was cultivated on 77, 339 hectares of land that produced about 7 lakh bales of jute.
Under the initiative of present government as the cultivators have been getting good price that has encouraged the growers to bring more land under the jute cultivation.
The ever increasing demand of jute goods particularly which was under the clutch of synthetic fibers helped increase the demand of jute, the source added.
Government has framed law for banning synthetic bags, rice containing bags if the law is violated by any one he or they are supposed to face punishment.
Initially immediate after sowing of jute seed there was almost drought like situation that was very alarming for the farmers but that scare has been over because of sufficient rain fall and temperature and necessary humidity, the DAE sources said.
The source further said that harvesting will begin soon in all the nine upazilas of the district.
- Most viewed
- Wife of Malaysia's ex-PM arrives for questions in 1MDB case
- PM invited to WEF annual meeting
- Judi Dench honoured at Spain film festival
- PM urges int’l community to ensure easy transfer of technology
- Prime Minister for upholding dignity of UN peacekeeping
- 26 September Births
- 26 September Events
- 26 September Deaths
- Bangladesh has potential to achieve more: Bernicat
- Prime Minister to address 73rd Session UNGA September 27
- FIFA to upgrade flights, raise prize money for Women's World Cup
- PM not interested holding dialogue with BNP
- Bangladesh Asia’s 2nd most gender equal country: WEF
- Over 300m children out of school globally: UNICEF
- PM flies for New York to join 73rd UNGA
- PM gives flats to former national footballers, hockey player
- Doob to represent Bangladesh in 91st Oscar
- Female RMG worker loses leg in Savar road crash