Bumper jute production expected in Faridpur
Published : 09 Jul 2016, 15:23
Department of Agriculture Extension (DAE) of Faridpur district is expecting a bumper jute production in the current season.
Jute, the principal cash crop of the district, has been cultivated on 82,000 hectares of land with the target of producing 7 lakh 40 thousand bales of jute in the current year, the DAE sources said.
According to the sources, last year jute was cultivated on 77, 339 hectares of land that produced about 7 lakh bales of jute.
Under the initiative of present government as the cultivators have been getting good price that has encouraged the growers to bring more land under the jute cultivation.
The ever increasing demand of jute goods particularly which was under the clutch of synthetic fibers helped increase the demand of jute, the source added.
Government has framed law for banning synthetic bags, rice containing bags if the law is violated by any one he or they are supposed to face punishment.
Initially immediate after sowing of jute seed there was almost drought like situation that was very alarming for the farmers but that scare has been over because of sufficient rain fall and temperature and necessary humidity, the DAE sources said.
The source further said that harvesting will begin soon in all the nine upazilas of the district.
- Most viewed
- Committee formed to implement 9th wage board for journos: Tarana
- Canadian police say attack on girl who claimed a man cut her hijab ‘did not happen’
- Strong Coast Guard important for world maritime security: US
- PM urges developed countries to stand beside Bangladesh
- ‘Zombie’ singer Dolores O’Riordan dies at 46
- Singer Shammi Akhtar passes away
- Minor girl found hanging from tree in Chuadanga
- Pranab Mukherjee meets Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina
- Sri Lanka lifts 38-yr ban on women buying, selling alcohol