Husband to die for killing wife in Rajshahi
Published : 18 Sep 2016, 23:04
A man was sentenced to death by a court here today (Sunday) for killing his wife Shima Khatun in the district around three and half years back.
The convict has been identified as Sujan Ali, 30, son of Shamsuddin of Polashbari village under Durgapur Upazila of the district.
Two other accused father Shamsuddin and mother Meher Nigar were acquitted as the murder charge brought against them could not be proved beyond doubt.
The prosecution story, in brief, is that Sujan Ali used to torture his wife Shima Khatun for dowry and as continuation of the repression he strangulated her to death on March 1, 2013.
Father of the victim Rejaul Karim had lodged a case with the concerned police station. On completion of investigation, police pressed charges against three of them including Sujan Ali.
After examining recorded depositions of the enlisted prosecution witnesses and relevant evidence Judge-2 of Special Tribunal for Prevention of Repression Against Women and Children KM Shaheed Ahmed found the convict guilty and pronounced the verdict in a crowded courtroom around 4.30pm.
Special Public Prosecutor Ismat Ara conducted the case on behalf of the state while Advocate Abdul Hamid Mukta defended the accused.
- Most viewed
- How sleep disorders could affect women and men differently
- Ariana Grande returns to US following Manchester bombing
- Rab cordons off 2 ‘militant dens’ in C’nawabganj
- 24 May Events
- 24 May Births
- 24 May Deaths
- Macher Paturi
- Shabana Azmi plays a mom in The Black Prince, a biopic on Punjab’s last king
- Death toll in Manchester blast rises to 22
- Banani rape: Key accused Nayem Ashraf placed in 7-day remand
- Banani Rape: Key accused Nayem
- Banani hotel rape charge 'credible', police say
- Swatch of No-ground: A treasure trove of marine lives
- Haor people to get fresh agri loan at 4.5 pc: PM
- Bollywood actress Reema Lagoo dies
- 'Unplanned Tourism Effects Biodiversity of Cox’s Bazar'
- Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina reaches Netrakona
- Banani rape: Cops allowed for forensic test on mobiles of Shafat, Sakif