Husband to die for killing wife in Rajshahi
Published : 18 Sep 2016, 23:04
A man was sentenced to death by a court here today (Sunday) for killing his wife Shima Khatun in the district around three and half years back.
The convict has been identified as Sujan Ali, 30, son of Shamsuddin of Polashbari village under Durgapur Upazila of the district.
Two other accused father Shamsuddin and mother Meher Nigar were acquitted as the murder charge brought against them could not be proved beyond doubt.
The prosecution story, in brief, is that Sujan Ali used to torture his wife Shima Khatun for dowry and as continuation of the repression he strangulated her to death on March 1, 2013.
Father of the victim Rejaul Karim had lodged a case with the concerned police station. On completion of investigation, police pressed charges against three of them including Sujan Ali.
After examining recorded depositions of the enlisted prosecution witnesses and relevant evidence Judge-2 of Special Tribunal for Prevention of Repression Against Women and Children KM Shaheed Ahmed found the convict guilty and pronounced the verdict in a crowded courtroom around 4.30pm.
Special Public Prosecutor Ismat Ara conducted the case on behalf of the state while Advocate Abdul Hamid Mukta defended the accused.
- Most viewed
- Stay on Khaleda’s trial proceedings upheld
- Drive in Chapainawabganj ‘militant den’
- 26 April Deaths
- 26 April Births
- 26 April Events
- Maria Sharapova's return divides rivals
- Speed up relief operation in haor areas: PM
- Speaker off to Australia to join CPA meeting
- Maximum 2yrs jail for selling banned, tainted fish
- Dhaka-Thimphu to work in power, water resources & connectivity: Statement
- Safety rules ignored in Cox's Bazar beach
- 'Ruppur nuclear power plant's construction set to begin in June'
- Bangladesh students are welcome in US
- PM returns home from Bhutan
- Bhutan to facilitate entry of Bangladeshi products
- Policewomen honoured for their contribution
- Mother, daughter hurt in Gaibandha acid attack
- Bangladeshi woman arrested in Hong Kong raids