Husband to die for killing wife in Rajshahi
Published : 18 Sep 2016, 23:04
A man was sentenced to death by a court here today (Sunday) for killing his wife Shima Khatun in the district around three and half years back.
The convict has been identified as Sujan Ali, 30, son of Shamsuddin of Polashbari village under Durgapur Upazila of the district.
Two other accused father Shamsuddin and mother Meher Nigar were acquitted as the murder charge brought against them could not be proved beyond doubt.
The prosecution story, in brief, is that Sujan Ali used to torture his wife Shima Khatun for dowry and as continuation of the repression he strangulated her to death on March 1, 2013.
Father of the victim Rejaul Karim had lodged a case with the concerned police station. On completion of investigation, police pressed charges against three of them including Sujan Ali.
After examining recorded depositions of the enlisted prosecution witnesses and relevant evidence Judge-2 of Special Tribunal for Prevention of Repression Against Women and Children KM Shaheed Ahmed found the convict guilty and pronounced the verdict in a crowded courtroom around 4.30pm.
Special Public Prosecutor Ismat Ara conducted the case on behalf of the state while Advocate Abdul Hamid Mukta defended the accused.
- Most viewed
- PM defends Rampal Plant in interaction with Gore at WEF
- 39 jailed in India for trafficking 7 Bangladeshis, dozens of Indians
- 15 school children feared killed in road accident in India
- PM for utilising transboundary freshwater resources
- 19 January Deaths
- 19 January Births
- 19 January Events
- Journo Shahidul Huq's wife Shamsun Nahar passes away
- Shakira asks Davos elite to nurture future leaders
- PM urges partymen to overcome challenging days ahead
- PM arrives in Zurich to attend WEF meeting
- PM joins Biswa Ijtema Akheri Munajat
- 13 bodies found, scores of migrants feared dead in Mediterranean
- 26 get death in seven-murder trial
- India boat accident toll rises to 26, more dead feared
- 6 killed, 15 injured in Comilla road accident
- Climate change shows in shrinking Antarctic snows
- 16 January Events