Husband to die for killing wife in Rajshahi
Published : 18 Sep 2016, 23:04
A man was sentenced to death by a court here today (Sunday) for killing his wife Shima Khatun in the district around three and half years back.
The convict has been identified as Sujan Ali, 30, son of Shamsuddin of Polashbari village under Durgapur Upazila of the district.
Two other accused father Shamsuddin and mother Meher Nigar were acquitted as the murder charge brought against them could not be proved beyond doubt.
The prosecution story, in brief, is that Sujan Ali used to torture his wife Shima Khatun for dowry and as continuation of the repression he strangulated her to death on March 1, 2013.
Father of the victim Rejaul Karim had lodged a case with the concerned police station. On completion of investigation, police pressed charges against three of them including Sujan Ali.
After examining recorded depositions of the enlisted prosecution witnesses and relevant evidence Judge-2 of Special Tribunal for Prevention of Repression Against Women and Children KM Shaheed Ahmed found the convict guilty and pronounced the verdict in a crowded courtroom around 4.30pm.
Special Public Prosecutor Ismat Ara conducted the case on behalf of the state while Advocate Abdul Hamid Mukta defended the accused.
- Most viewed
- Supporting women to get priority in intellectual property law: Amu
- Sheikh Hasina leaves for Australia today on three-day visit
- Address human rights concerns, urge Asean MPs in open letter
- Mother, daughter killed in Moulvibazar fire
- 26 April Deaths
- 26 April Births
- 26 April Events
- Model Kazi Asif freed on bail
- EU leader says current Iran nuclear deal should be kept
- PM returns home from London
- Queen tips Prince Charles to follow her as Commonwealth head
- PM calls for Commonwealth’s comprehensive reform
- 3 resident students of DU hall brought back
- Amorous couples, sex workers whipped in Indonesia's Aceh
- PM exchanges greetings with British Queen
- Husband kills wife for dowry
- Ostrich chicks, gold ornaments seized in Satkhira
- Science Says: Amount of straws, plastic pollution is huge