Husband to suffer 7 yrs RI for torturing wife
Published : 28 Sep 2016, 13:49
A husband has been sentenced to suffer seven years rigorous imprisonment by a court here on Tuesday for torturing his wife.
The convict identified as Sohrab Hossain, 45, of Mohangonj village under Bagmara Upazila of the district.
The court also fined him Taka 25,000.
The prosecution story, in brief, is that Sohrab Ali used to torture his wife Jharna Begum, 40, for dowry of Taka two lakh frequently and as continuation of the repression he mercilessly beaten her on January 31, 2015.
The victim had lodged a case with the concerned police station. On completion of investigation, police pressed charges against her husband.
After examining recorded depositions of the enlisted prosecution witnesses and relevant evidence Judge-2 of Special Tribunal for Prevention of Repression Against Women and Children KM Shaheed Ahmed found the convict guilty and pronounced the verdict in a crowded courtroom around 4.30pm yesterday.
- Most viewed
- Sunny Leone opens up on casting couch in Bollywood
- Stay alert against defeated forces: PM
- Sheikh Hasina reaches Suhrawady Udyan
- Jessia to join grand finale of Miss World, 2017
- Woman accuses US Senator of unwanted groping, kiss
- This is when women are most likely to cheat on their partner
- Why women are happier being single than men
- PM witnesses Dhaka Opera House design
- PM opens BLLISS-2017
- Amy Schumer ‘dating’ chef Chris Fischer
- Myanmar's Suu Kyi now benefits from Southeast Asia's silence
- 18-month-old girl allegedly raped by caretaker
- Queen Elizabeth, Prince Philip celebrate 70th wedding anniversary
- Right to a healthy future
- Sessions vows Clinton probe on emails
- Women less likely to get CPR from bystanders: Study
- UN chief meets Myanmar's Suu Kyi on Rohingya crisis
- Role of women in climate action recognised at UN climate conf