Husband to suffer 7 yrs RI for torturing wife
Published : 28 Sep 2016, 13:49
A husband has been sentenced to suffer seven years rigorous imprisonment by a court here on Tuesday for torturing his wife.
The convict identified as Sohrab Hossain, 45, of Mohangonj village under Bagmara Upazila of the district.
The court also fined him Taka 25,000.
The prosecution story, in brief, is that Sohrab Ali used to torture his wife Jharna Begum, 40, for dowry of Taka two lakh frequently and as continuation of the repression he mercilessly beaten her on January 31, 2015.
The victim had lodged a case with the concerned police station. On completion of investigation, police pressed charges against her husband.
After examining recorded depositions of the enlisted prosecution witnesses and relevant evidence Judge-2 of Special Tribunal for Prevention of Repression Against Women and Children KM Shaheed Ahmed found the convict guilty and pronounced the verdict in a crowded courtroom around 4.30pm yesterday.
- Most viewed
- Over 100 die in Malaysian immigration camps in 2 years
- Shanghai streets rule by catwalks of stylish dogs
- Police drive at Nasirpur ‘militant den’ resumes
- ‘No turning back’ as Brexit triggered
- Summer skin care tips you must follow this season
- 5 fashion trends you need this summer
- Melania Trump Makes Case For Women's 'Empowerment'
- Comilla city polls begin
- 30 March Deaths
- First child marriage under special provision of new law held in Bangladesh
- 'Not consulted by Centre on Teesta, state's interests come first'
- Fire at Bangladesh Bank building
- Ex-husband of Arifa caught in Tangail
- Police name London attacker as British-born Khalid Masood
- Hawaii lawmaker resigns from Republican Party
- Schoolgirls deployed to collect toll for event
- IS claims responsibility for Sylhet blasts
- Bangladesh female hockey champs epitomize Special Olympics ideal