Husband to suffer 7 yrs RI for torturing wife
Published : 28 Sep 2016, 13:49
A husband has been sentenced to suffer seven years rigorous imprisonment by a court here on Tuesday for torturing his wife.
The convict identified as Sohrab Hossain, 45, of Mohangonj village under Bagmara Upazila of the district.
The court also fined him Taka 25,000.
The prosecution story, in brief, is that Sohrab Ali used to torture his wife Jharna Begum, 40, for dowry of Taka two lakh frequently and as continuation of the repression he mercilessly beaten her on January 31, 2015.
The victim had lodged a case with the concerned police station. On completion of investigation, police pressed charges against her husband.
After examining recorded depositions of the enlisted prosecution witnesses and relevant evidence Judge-2 of Special Tribunal for Prevention of Repression Against Women and Children KM Shaheed Ahmed found the convict guilty and pronounced the verdict in a crowded courtroom around 4.30pm yesterday.
- Most viewed
- Woman commits suicide after killing daughter
- Ivy released from hospital
- 23 January Deaths
- 23 January Births
- 23 January Events
- PM releases stamp, first day cover on Int'l Customs Day
- 7 reasons you should use vegan products
- How to make someone fall in love with you: According to science
- Six reasons why you should wear sunglasses in the cold season
- Committee formed to implement 9th wage board for journos: Tarana
- Strong Coast Guard important for world maritime security: US
- PM urges developed countries to stand beside Bangladesh
- Indian girl dies after gang rapists rupture her lungs
- Priyanka Chopra lets go of her diet on her vacation!
- Katy Perry in 'tough conversations' with her record label
- UN rapporteur determined to follow up thwarted mission
- British MPs approve landmark Brexit bill
- Militants kill mother-daughter polio workers in Pakistan