Repressors on domestic workers will be dealt sternly: Mujibul
Published : 06 Oct 2016, 23:28
The central monitoring cell on domestic workers affairs would conduct drives to deal with the offenders on getting information about any torture on domestic helps, said State Minister for Labour and Employment M Mujibul Haq today.
He came up with this announcement while addressing the first meeting of the cell, formed with the aim of implementing domestic workers protection and welfare policy-2015.
"The domestic help torture increased recently ...Most of the domestic helps are being repressed by the housewives on flimsy grounds...the government would not in any way tolerate such inhumane attitude and that's why a monitoring cell has been formed centrally", Mujibul Haq said.
"If any allegation of domestic help torture is received by the cell it will immediately take lawful action against the offenders," the state minister said.
Haq added that units of the monitoring cell committee will be formed at district and upazila levels, city corporations areas and municipalities.
As per the labour law, there is no scope to employ any domestic help below 12 years, he said. But the children aged between 12 and 18 years might be employed for light works, he added.
Chaired by State Minister for Labour and Employment M Mujibul Haq, the meeting was also attended, among others, by Israfil Alam MP, Labour and Employment Secretary Mikail Shipar, Inspector General of the Department of Inspection for Factories and Establishments Syed Ahmed, President of Jatiya Sramik League Sukkur Mamud and Executive Director of Bangladesh Women Lawyers Association Advocate Salma Ali.
The 22-member central monitoring cell on domestic workers affairs was formed on July 13 this year for implementing the Domestic Workers Protection and Welfare Policy 2015.
The state minister for Labour and Employment heads the cell as its chairman.
- Most viewed
- ASI sued over rape in Chittagong
- Guides to pack jewellery while travelling
- New project launched to mitigate NY sound pollution
- Eurozone business activity slows: Markit survey
- Choi Soon-sil: South Korean ex-president's friend jailed
- 9 Bangladeshi women and children released from Indian jail after 4 years
- PM pays homage to Bangabandhu on AL's 68th founding anniversary
- AL to stay beside people: PM
- Give scope to AL to serve people time and again: PM
- Protect yourself from deadly brain tumours
- Banani rape indictment hearing Jul 9
- PM seeks Moroccan investment in economic zones
- 5 to die for killing housewife after rape in C’nawabganj
- Beyonce gives birth to twins
- NASA tests flexible solar array on space station
- Priyanka Chopra kicks off shooting for her second hollywood film
- Folk queen Momtaz brings two new songs this Eid
- PM hosts iftar for eminent personalities, poets, artists