First female election commissioner in Bangladesh
Published : 07 Feb 2017, 12:49
Since its formation in 1972, the election commission has seen 11 chief election commissioners and 23 election commissioners all men.
Just-appointed Kabita Khanam, a retired judge, is the first woman election commissioner in Bangladesh's 45-year history.
Last time the search committee, formed by the then president, recommended the name of one woman but she was not selected eventually.
This time around, the search committee recommended the names of two women Kabita Khanam and Dhaka University professor of public administration Zarina Rahman Khan.
President Abdul Hamid on Monday night picked the name of Kabita Khanam and appointed her the first woman election commissioner.
"I feel good that I have been chosen. I am proud of [being the first women to hold such a post]," she said in her reaction to her appointment.
She said she would try to carry out her responsibility with sincerity and devotion.
Her name came from the ruling Awami League when the party submitted its list to the search committee.
In her 31-year career, Kabita Khan had held the position of Rajshahi district and sessions judge. She retired in 2013.
Currently, the prime minister, the leader of the opposition in parliament, and the speaker are all women.
BNP chairperson Khaleda Zia became the first female prime minister of the country in 1991 when her party won the parliamentary elections after the fall of dictatorial regime of HM Ershad.
Source: Prothom Alo
- Most viewed
- World Cup Pussy Riot pitch intruders jailed for 15 days
- 'I had to make my kidnapper fall in love with me': Chloe Ayling
- PM Sheikh Hasina opens G2P system for freedom fighters
- Theresa May accepts key amendments from hardline Brexiteers
- 592 rape incidents in six months
- 17 July Events
- 17 July Births
- 17 July Deaths
- Arrests after Indian woman gang-raped, burned to death
- Prime Minister visits Pabna today
- 11 July Deaths
- ‘We’re on top of the world anyways’: Croatia’s president
- Tigresses ensure participation of ICC World T20
- Bangladesh Tigress will face Scotland tonight
- France-Croatia to fight for World Cup 2018 title tonight
- What you should know about Croatian President Kolinda Kitarovic
- France crowned World Cup 2018 champions after beating Croatia
- No more ‘hot women’- FIFA wants fewer images of attractive female fans in stadiums