First female election commissioner in Bangladesh
Published : 07 Feb 2017, 12:49
Since its formation in 1972, the election commission has seen 11 chief election commissioners and 23 election commissioners all men.
Just-appointed Kabita Khanam, a retired judge, is the first woman election commissioner in Bangladesh's 45-year history.
Last time the search committee, formed by the then president, recommended the name of one woman but she was not selected eventually.
This time around, the search committee recommended the names of two women Kabita Khanam and Dhaka University professor of public administration Zarina Rahman Khan.
President Abdul Hamid on Monday night picked the name of Kabita Khanam and appointed her the first woman election commissioner.
"I feel good that I have been chosen. I am proud of [being the first women to hold such a post]," she said in her reaction to her appointment.
She said she would try to carry out her responsibility with sincerity and devotion.
Her name came from the ruling Awami League when the party submitted its list to the search committee.
In her 31-year career, Kabita Khan had held the position of Rajshahi district and sessions judge. She retired in 2013.
Currently, the prime minister, the leader of the opposition in parliament, and the speaker are all women.
BNP chairperson Khaleda Zia became the first female prime minister of the country in 1991 when her party won the parliamentary elections after the fall of dictatorial regime of HM Ershad.
Source: Prothom Alo
- Most viewed
- Simple ways to protect lips during summer
- PM left Dhaka for Australia to join the Global Summit of Women
- Six-year-old girl raped in Bogura
- Supporting women to get priority in intellectual property law: Amu
- Sheikh Hasina leaves for Australia today on three-day visit
- Address human rights concerns, urge Asean MPs in open letter
- Mother, daughter killed in Moulvibazar fire
- 26 April Deaths
- 26 April Births
- PM returns home from London
- Queen tips Prince Charles to follow her as Commonwealth head
- PM calls for Commonwealth’s comprehensive reform
- PM exchanges greetings with British Queen
- 3 resident students of DU hall brought back
- Amorous couples, sex workers whipped in Indonesia's Aceh
- Ostrich chicks, gold ornaments seized in Satkhira
- Husband kills wife for dowry
- Science Says: Amount of straws, plastic pollution is huge