First female election commissioner in Bangladesh
Published : 07 Feb 2017, 12:49
Since its formation in 1972, the election commission has seen 11 chief election commissioners and 23 election commissioners all men.
Just-appointed Kabita Khanam, a retired judge, is the first woman election commissioner in Bangladesh's 45-year history.
Last time the search committee, formed by the then president, recommended the name of one woman but she was not selected eventually.
This time around, the search committee recommended the names of two women Kabita Khanam and Dhaka University professor of public administration Zarina Rahman Khan.
President Abdul Hamid on Monday night picked the name of Kabita Khanam and appointed her the first woman election commissioner.
"I feel good that I have been chosen. I am proud of [being the first women to hold such a post]," she said in her reaction to her appointment.
She said she would try to carry out her responsibility with sincerity and devotion.
Her name came from the ruling Awami League when the party submitted its list to the search committee.
In her 31-year career, Kabita Khan had held the position of Rajshahi district and sessions judge. She retired in 2013.
Currently, the prime minister, the leader of the opposition in parliament, and the speaker are all women.
BNP chairperson Khaleda Zia became the first female prime minister of the country in 1991 when her party won the parliamentary elections after the fall of dictatorial regime of HM Ershad.
Source: Prothom Alo
- Most viewed
- Doob to represent Bangladesh in 91st Oscar
- Prime Minister leaves London for New York
- Rock your locks with stylish chic buns
- Tempting sev puri to satisfy your craving
- James Bond to be back in 2020
- Mother ‘hacked dead’ by ‘drug addict’ son in Kushtia
- 23 September Events
- 23 September Births
- 23 September Deaths
- Seven-day skin care routine for lovely looks
- Instant triple talaq an offence in India
- Prime Minister to address 73rd Session UNGA September 27
- PM leaves for London Friday en route to NY to join 73rd UNGA
- Bangladesh hand Lebanon 8-0 thrashing
- PM unveils ‘World Skills Bangladesh’ logo
- Hasina, Modi to open Bangladesh-India oil pipeline today
- Virtual or real? Fashion world split over digital supermodels
- UK Foreign Secy Hunt to meet Suu Kyi during Myanmar visit