First female election commissioner in Bangladesh
Published : 07 Feb 2017, 12:49
Since its formation in 1972, the election commission has seen 11 chief election commissioners and 23 election commissioners all men.
Just-appointed Kabita Khanam, a retired judge, is the first woman election commissioner in Bangladesh's 45-year history.
Last time the search committee, formed by the then president, recommended the name of one woman but she was not selected eventually.
This time around, the search committee recommended the names of two women Kabita Khanam and Dhaka University professor of public administration Zarina Rahman Khan.
President Abdul Hamid on Monday night picked the name of Kabita Khanam and appointed her the first woman election commissioner.
"I feel good that I have been chosen. I am proud of [being the first women to hold such a post]," she said in her reaction to her appointment.
She said she would try to carry out her responsibility with sincerity and devotion.
Her name came from the ruling Awami League when the party submitted its list to the search committee.
In her 31-year career, Kabita Khan had held the position of Rajshahi district and sessions judge. She retired in 2013.
Currently, the prime minister, the leader of the opposition in parliament, and the speaker are all women.
BNP chairperson Khaleda Zia became the first female prime minister of the country in 1991 when her party won the parliamentary elections after the fall of dictatorial regime of HM Ershad.
Source: Prothom Alo
- Most viewed
- Smell like roses: Use the petals to treat acne and de-stress. We tell you how
- Photos: Mire madness as hundreds run, crawl and fight at Boryeong Mud Festival
- Sonakshi Sinha: I was always the pampered one
- Shield your kids from monsoon woes
- Make quality films upholding history, culture: PM
- Thai govt to seize 12 of Yingluck’s bank accounts
- 4 killed in Cox’s Bazar landslides
- 25 July Deaths
- 25 July Births
- Tahsan, Mithila announce their divorce
- 5 members of ‘rapist gang’ held in city
- Students clash with cops at Shahbagh demanding exam dates
- Unidentified girl dies at DMCH, 12 days after rescue in senseless state
- Bangladeshi gets 11 years’ jail for raping tourist in Singapore
- 22 July Deaths
- Cop’s wife found dead in Jessore
- Minneapolis police chief resigns after Australian woman's shooting
- 22 July Births