PM urges alem, ulema to intensify campaign against militancy
Published : 09 Feb 2017, 16:56
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina today sought extended supports of imams and Islamic scholors in stamping out terrorism and militancy to maintain social peace and keep the pace of development in the country.
"The people would listen to your advices and accept those . . . you earlier responded to my call to work against militancy and terrorism and you are working to this end. We want you would gear up the campaign to maintain peace and development," she told the National Imam Conference at Bangabandhu International Conference Centre here this morning.
She added: "I have firm belief that we could certainly eliminate terrorism and militancy completely if you properly convince the people in this regard."
The premier identified terrorism-militancy and drug addiction as two biggest contemporary problems and underlined the need for steps to protect the countrymen, particularly the children and youths from these vices.
"Peace is essential to continue the trend of development and it would be maintained if we could contain terrorism and militancy," she said.
Islamic Foundation organized the event titled "National Children and Juveniles Cultural Competition and the National Imam Conference" with Religious Affairs Minister Principal Motiur Rahman chairing over the function.
Planning Minister AHM Mustafa Kamal, Chairman of the Parliamentary Standing Committee on the Religious Affairs Ministry Bazlul Haque Harun, Secretary of the ministry Mohammad Abdul Jalil, Director General of Islamic Foundation Shamim Mohammad Afzal also spoke at the function.
Maulana Obaidullah Ershad, the best imam at the national level, also spoke at the function.
Describing Islam as the religion of peace, the prime minister expressed her firm optimism that Bangladesh would be able to spread the main essence of Islam among the people by establishing peace in the country.
"Bangladesh would be able to do this ... we want to show this to the whole world and we seek support from alem and ulema in this regard," she said.
Sheikh Hasina said the power of the people is the biggest strength. "If they stay alert and put up resistance, terrorism and militancy won't exist in the country and the people would live in peace," she said.
The premier said Islam is the religion of harmony and brotherhood and the holy Quran and Sura Qafirun mentioned that the people would perform their respective religions. Great Prophet Hazrat Muhammad (PBUH) asked to perform own religion and show honour to others religion, she said.
"But we feel pain, when innocent people are killed in the name of Islam and those who kill the people say that they would go to heaven through it. Believing this is a great sin as there is no place of militancy in Islam... it's a worldwide problem," she said.
Sheikh Hasina said a quarter is unleashing terrorism and anarchy across the world including Bangladesh in the name of Islam with whom Islam has no link.
"Islam is a religion of peace, harmony and humanity and this quarter is stigmatising holy Islam and making it questionable," she said.
The premier said it is unfortunate that the image of Islam is being undermined and tarnished internationally as some people get involved in terrorism and militancy.
She said the expansion of Islam was made worldwide when the Great Prophet preached Islam and a huge imperial was built under Islam. "But the image of Islam is being undermined due to misdeeds of few number of people," she said.
- Most viewed
- ASI sued over rape in Chittagong
- Guides to pack jewellery while travelling
- New project launched to mitigate NY sound pollution
- Eurozone business activity slows: Markit survey
- Choi Soon-sil: South Korean ex-president's friend jailed
- 9 Bangladeshi women and children released from Indian jail after 4 years
- PM pays homage to Bangabandhu on AL's 68th founding anniversary
- AL to stay beside people: PM
- Give scope to AL to serve people time and again: PM
- Protect yourself from deadly brain tumours
- Banani rape indictment hearing Jul 9
- PM seeks Moroccan investment in economic zones
- 5 to die for killing housewife after rape in C’nawabganj
- Beyonce gives birth to twins
- Priyanka Chopra kicks off shooting for her second hollywood film
- Folk queen Momtaz brings two new songs this Eid
- NASA tests flexible solar array on space station
- PM hosts iftar for eminent personalities, poets, artists