82,000 tonnes winter vegetables produced in Narsingdi
Published : 25 Feb 2017, 17:13
The farmers of Narsingdi district have produced winter vegetable in 20 percent more than the previous years.
During the recent winter season they have produced about 82,000 tonnes of vegetables in the district.
Deputy Director of Department of Agriculture Extension (DAE) Latafat Hossain told BSS that farmers have produced 82,000 tonnes of vegetables this season in the district. He said due to favourable climate condition and availability of fertilizers, farmers have achieved the above mentioned production which is break all of its previous records.
He said farmers of the district have cultivated 8,050 hectares land under winter vegetables cultivation in the six upazilas of the district in this season.
The Deputy Director (DD) said farmers of Bangladesh regularly use pesticides and chemical fertilizers in their crops field specially vegetables field.
The DAE have given knowledge to the farmers about the bad effects of using pesticides and chemical fertilizers on vegetable fields. They have also given training on pest management. Because of training and motivation, he said the farmers are now inspired to cultivate pesticides free vegetables using vermin-compost and other organic fertilizers avoiding chemical fertilizers and pesticides on their field.
Various kinds of winter vegetables like Bean, Brinjal. Potato, tomato, Radish, Carrot gourd, pumpkin, Cauliflower Cabbage, Poishsk, lal shak, Pulong shak etc grow aplenty in the district.
The DD said Narsingdi district is vegetable surplus areas usually supply 30 to 40 percent of its production to the capital and other districts after meeting the local demand.
A number of farmers in different upazilas of the district producing pesticide free vegetables using organic fertilizers instead of chemical fertilizers and pesticides and they are getting fair price.
DAE sources said a good numbers of poor families in the district achieved economic self-reliance through vegetables farming during the last couple of years.
- Most viewed
- ‘SDG Tracker’ & Publication on South South launched
- How to have beautiful toned body
- 'Addressing climate change means ensuring human rights'
- Priyanka at UN bats for girl empowerment
- Suu Kyi’s award suspended by UK union
- 4G service by December: Tarana
- Signal 3 to continue for maritime ports
- Schoolgirl foils forced marriage
- Mexico: Strong earthquake topples buildings, killing scores (Video)
- Friend’s kidney helps Selena Gomez fight lupus
- Priyanka meets Jordan's Queen Rania
- Public property plunderers must face legal actions: PM
- Trump assures PM of all supports on Rohingya issue
- Woman dies for ‘medical negligence’ after childbirth
- Woman burnt to death ‘by husband’ for failing to get MBBS seat
- Schoolgirl hacked in Savar, stalker held
- PM reaffirms Bangladesh's commitment to end sexual abuse of peacekeepers
- Preparation on to celebrate Durga puja