SC upholds death sentence of Shahid for Shazneen murder
Published : 05 Mar 2017, 17:39
The Supreme Court (SC) on Sunday rejected a petition filed by Shahidul, condemned for the murder of Scholastica student Shazneen Tasnim Rahman, to review his death sentence.
A three-member bench of the Appellate Division, headed by chief justice Surendra Kumar Sinha, rejected the petition of Shahidul Islam alias Shahid, who was a domestic help in Shazneen's house, reports UNB news agency.
Earlier on 2 August last, the SC upheld the death sentence of Shahidul and acquitted four others condemned in the murder case after hearing appeals against a High Court verdict.
The acquitted are Syed Sajjad Mainuddin Hasan, a contractor for repairs of the house, Sajjad's assistant Badal and maids Estema Khatun Minu and Parvin.
On 23 April 1998, Shazneen, a class IX student of Scholastica School in the city and daughter of Transcom Group chairman Latifur Rahman, was murdered at her house.
On 2 September 2003, judge of the Women and Children Repression Prevention Tribunal Kazi Rahmatullah handed down death penalty to six accused for their involvement in planning and executing the murder.
Lawyer of the plaintiff SM Shahjahan said Shazneen's father Latifur Rahman filed a murder case after the incident.
Later, Detective Branch (DB) of police filed another case under the Women and Children Repression Prevention Act.
On 10 July 2006, the High Court upheld the death penalty of five convicts and acquitted carpenter Shaniram Mandal of the charges.
Later, four of the condemned filed a leave-to-appeal with the Supreme Court against the High Court order that was granted by the Appellate Division on 26 April 2009.
Source: Prothom Alo
- Most viewed
- ASI sued over rape in Chittagong
- Guides to pack jewellery while travelling
- New project launched to mitigate NY sound pollution
- Eurozone business activity slows: Markit survey
- Choi Soon-sil: South Korean ex-president's friend jailed
- 9 Bangladeshi women and children released from Indian jail after 4 years
- PM pays homage to Bangabandhu on AL's 68th founding anniversary
- AL to stay beside people: PM
- Give scope to AL to serve people time and again: PM
- Protect yourself from deadly brain tumours
- Banani rape indictment hearing Jul 9
- PM seeks Moroccan investment in economic zones
- 5 to die for killing housewife after rape in C’nawabganj
- Beyonce gives birth to twins
- Priyanka Chopra kicks off shooting for her second hollywood film
- Folk queen Momtaz brings two new songs this Eid
- NASA tests flexible solar array on space station
- PM hosts iftar for eminent personalities, poets, artists