Comilla city polls begin
Published : 30 Mar 2017, 11:32
The Comilla City Corporation polls begin on Thursday morning amid tight security as the two main political rivals Awami League and BNP are set to contest the elections.
The balloting in 103 polling stations across the city began at 8:00am and will continue till 4:00pm without any break under an unprecedented security blanket. Some 5,000 law enforcers will guard the election areas.
Our correspondent witnessed queue of voters in Bagichagao area under ward no 2 and Police Lines Government primary school under ward no 3 in the morning.
Returning officer Rakibuddin Mandal said all the preparations are done. Law enforcers will take action in any untoward situation, he added.
A neck-and-neck fight is expected to be held between ruling AL’s mayoral candidate Anjuman Sultana Sima and opposition Bangladesh Natinonalist Party’s (BNP) mayoral rival Monirul Haque Sakku.
Sakku is the immediate past mayor of the city.
Two other mayoral candidates Md Mamunur Rashid with 'Table Clock' symbol (independent) and Shirin Akter with 'Star' symbol (JSD) are there in the race as the election to the mayoral post is being held along the political party line unlikely the ones of councillor's and reserved seats.
A total of 114 candidates are there in the race for 27 general councillor posts, while 41 women are contesting the election for nine reserved seats.
This is the second election in the city where a total of 207,566 voters 102,447 males and 105,119 females are expected to exercise their voting rights to elect their city mayor, 27 general councillors and nine women councillors (from reserve seats).
A total of 4,722 members of law enforcement agencies, including Police, RAB and BGB, will maintain the law and order situation in the election area.
Source: Prothom Alo
- Most viewed
- How sleep disorders could affect women and men differently
- Ariana Grande returns to US following Manchester bombing
- Rab cordons off 2 ‘militant dens’ in C’nawabganj
- 24 May Events
- 24 May Births
- 24 May Deaths
- Macher Paturi
- Shabana Azmi plays a mom in The Black Prince, a biopic on Punjab’s last king
- Death toll in Manchester blast rises to 22
- Banani rape: Key accused Nayem Ashraf placed in 7-day remand
- Banani Rape: Key accused Nayem
- Banani hotel rape charge 'credible', police say
- Swatch of No-ground: A treasure trove of marine lives
- Haor people to get fresh agri loan at 4.5 pc: PM
- Bollywood actress Reema Lagoo dies
- 'Unplanned Tourism Effects Biodiversity of Cox’s Bazar'
- Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina reaches Netrakona
- Banani rape: Cops allowed for forensic test on mobiles of Shafat, Sakif