Comilla city polls begin
Published : 30 Mar 2017, 11:32
The Comilla City Corporation polls begin on Thursday morning amid tight security as the two main political rivals Awami League and BNP are set to contest the elections.
The balloting in 103 polling stations across the city began at 8:00am and will continue till 4:00pm without any break under an unprecedented security blanket. Some 5,000 law enforcers will guard the election areas.
Our correspondent witnessed queue of voters in Bagichagao area under ward no 2 and Police Lines Government primary school under ward no 3 in the morning.
Returning officer Rakibuddin Mandal said all the preparations are done. Law enforcers will take action in any untoward situation, he added.
A neck-and-neck fight is expected to be held between ruling AL’s mayoral candidate Anjuman Sultana Sima and opposition Bangladesh Natinonalist Party’s (BNP) mayoral rival Monirul Haque Sakku.
Sakku is the immediate past mayor of the city.
Two other mayoral candidates Md Mamunur Rashid with 'Table Clock' symbol (independent) and Shirin Akter with 'Star' symbol (JSD) are there in the race as the election to the mayoral post is being held along the political party line unlikely the ones of councillor's and reserved seats.
A total of 114 candidates are there in the race for 27 general councillor posts, while 41 women are contesting the election for nine reserved seats.
This is the second election in the city where a total of 207,566 voters 102,447 males and 105,119 females are expected to exercise their voting rights to elect their city mayor, 27 general councillors and nine women councillors (from reserve seats).
A total of 4,722 members of law enforcement agencies, including Police, RAB and BGB, will maintain the law and order situation in the election area.
Source: Prothom Alo
- Most viewed
- Quota for FFs, their children, grandchildren to stay: PM
- Women in Somalia defy strict rules to play football
- Work efficiently to tap sea resources: PM asks navy
- Boko Haram frees abducted Nigerian schoolgirls
- ‘RMG workers are unaware they are sexually harassed’
- Children among at least 21 people ‘poisoned’ by 'gas' in Russian village
- The Rohingya children trafficked for sex
- Tribute song for US-Bangla plane crash victims
- Magura man ‘kills’ wife for dowry
- Jacqueline Fernandez gets into Madhuri Dixit mode
- First injured Bangladeshi victim of Nepal plane crash brought to Dhaka
- Tasmania elects majority of women in Australia state first
- Bangabandhu's 99th birthday being celebrated
- Barbecued Lamb with Mashed Potatoes Recipe
- Checking early marriage to protect kids from malnutrition: Dr Shirin
- Govt efforts helped BD attain criteria to graduate from LDC: PM
- 4 plane crash victims to be brought to Dhaka soon
- Bangladesh eligible for LDC graduation