Bangladesh Wheat and Maize Research Institute Bill, 2017 placed in JS
Published : 15 Jun 2017, 12:56
Agriculture Minister Begum Matia Chowdhury today placed the "Bangladesh Wheat and Maize Research Institute Bill, 2017" for increasing the production of wheat and maize through research in the country as wheat and maize are the two important food crops after the staple food rice.
The object of the bill is to transform the existing wheat research center into a full-fledged research center. It was placed in the parliament following the assurance given by Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina in a public meeting.
The bill has proposed to set up a modern research center with modern facilities, farm and infrastructure for carrying out advance research on these crops under a legal frame on 'Bangladesh Wheat and Maize Research Institute Act.
Under the law, the existing wheat research center and Maize section under plant breeding division of Bangladesh Agriculture Research Institute (BARI) will be abolished and its all research and regional centers, sub-centers, research projects and infrastructures to be handed over on the newly established research institute.
In addition to this, the scientists, officials and employees working in the wheat research center and Maize division would be employed in the newly established research Institute, according to the bill.
With passage of the bill, the government will establish the office and center of the research institute at Nasipur of Dinajpur. With the approval of the government, the Institute is allowed to set up its regional center and sub-center at any place in the country, said the bill.
Later, the bill was sent to the concerned parliamentary standing committee for scrutiny and reporting back to the House within fifteen days.
- Most viewed
- 34 new experiments to launch on NASA cargo ship
- 9 die due to Nipah virus outbreak in India
- Prime Minister talks tough against drugs
- Khulna City mayor calls on Prime Minister
- 21 May Events
- 21 May Births
- 21 May Deaths
- Abortion clinics to lose funding under new Trump rule
- Chun leads rain-hit Kingsmill Championship by one shot
- Mallika Sherawat locks herself in a cage for a cause
- Around 60 babies a day born in Rohingya camps in Bangladesh: UNICEF
- SC decision on Khaleda’s bail Wednesday
- PM Sheikh Hasina’s Homecoming Day Today
- Rape accused killed in Feni ‘gunfight’
- Prime Minister asks police to provide proper service
- Eat yogurt ‘appetizer’ to cut down chronic inflammation risk
- Saima for incorporating mental healthcare in disaster management plan
- Why Cannes outings don't affect Aishwarya