Bangladesh Wheat and Maize Research Institute Bill, 2017 placed in JS
Published : 15 Jun 2017, 12:56
Agriculture Minister Begum Matia Chowdhury today placed the "Bangladesh Wheat and Maize Research Institute Bill, 2017" for increasing the production of wheat and maize through research in the country as wheat and maize are the two important food crops after the staple food rice.
The object of the bill is to transform the existing wheat research center into a full-fledged research center. It was placed in the parliament following the assurance given by Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina in a public meeting.
The bill has proposed to set up a modern research center with modern facilities, farm and infrastructure for carrying out advance research on these crops under a legal frame on 'Bangladesh Wheat and Maize Research Institute Act.
Under the law, the existing wheat research center and Maize section under plant breeding division of Bangladesh Agriculture Research Institute (BARI) will be abolished and its all research and regional centers, sub-centers, research projects and infrastructures to be handed over on the newly established research institute.
In addition to this, the scientists, officials and employees working in the wheat research center and Maize division would be employed in the newly established research Institute, according to the bill.
With passage of the bill, the government will establish the office and center of the research institute at Nasipur of Dinajpur. With the approval of the government, the Institute is allowed to set up its regional center and sub-center at any place in the country, said the bill.
Later, the bill was sent to the concerned parliamentary standing committee for scrutiny and reporting back to the House within fifteen days.
- Most viewed
- Priya Prakash Varrier is not allowed to use a mobile phone
- PM goes to Tungipara tomorrow to pay homage to Bangabandhu
- Suicide trend among women on the rise in Sylhet
- Donald Trump Jr’s wife files for divorce
- Tasmania elects majority of women in Australia state first
- Barbecued Lamb with Mashed Potatoes Recipe
- First injured Bangladeshi victim of Nepal plane crash brought to Dhaka
- 16 March Deaths
- 16 March Births
- At least 50 dead in US Bangla aircraft crash in TIA
- Schoolgirl ‘raped by 2 teenagers’ in Sylhet
- FBHRO starts its journey
- US-Bangla Airlines aircraft crashes in Kathmandu
- US-Bangla aircraft’s passenger list
- Govt declares mourning day today
- Prithula Rashid, a life cut short
- Queen Boudicca: a tribal woman fought against Roman rule
- US-Bangla flight reaches Nepal with families of crash victims