Bangladesh Wheat and Maize Research Institute Bill, 2017 placed in JS
Published : 15 Jun 2017, 12:56
Agriculture Minister Begum Matia Chowdhury today placed the "Bangladesh Wheat and Maize Research Institute Bill, 2017" for increasing the production of wheat and maize through research in the country as wheat and maize are the two important food crops after the staple food rice.
The object of the bill is to transform the existing wheat research center into a full-fledged research center. It was placed in the parliament following the assurance given by Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina in a public meeting.
The bill has proposed to set up a modern research center with modern facilities, farm and infrastructure for carrying out advance research on these crops under a legal frame on 'Bangladesh Wheat and Maize Research Institute Act.
Under the law, the existing wheat research center and Maize section under plant breeding division of Bangladesh Agriculture Research Institute (BARI) will be abolished and its all research and regional centers, sub-centers, research projects and infrastructures to be handed over on the newly established research institute.
In addition to this, the scientists, officials and employees working in the wheat research center and Maize division would be employed in the newly established research Institute, according to the bill.
With passage of the bill, the government will establish the office and center of the research institute at Nasipur of Dinajpur. With the approval of the government, the Institute is allowed to set up its regional center and sub-center at any place in the country, said the bill.
Later, the bill was sent to the concerned parliamentary standing committee for scrutiny and reporting back to the House within fifteen days.
- Most viewed
- Road crash kills 16 garments workers in Rangpur
- 24 June Deaths
- 24 June Births
- 24 June Events
- ASI sued over rape in Chittagong
- Guides to pack jewellery while travelling
- New project launched to mitigate NY sound pollution
- Eurozone business activity slows: Markit survey
- Choi Soon-sil: South Korean ex-president's friend jailed
- Protect yourself from deadly brain tumours
- PM seeks Moroccan investment in economic zones
- Banani rape indictment hearing Jul 9
- 5 to die for killing housewife after rape in C’nawabganj
- NASA tests flexible solar array on space station
- Beyonce gives birth to twins
- Priyanka Chopra kicks off shooting for her second hollywood film
- Folk queen Momtaz brings two new songs this Eid
- PM hosts iftar for eminent personalities, poets, artists