5 to die for killing housewife after rape in C’nawabganj
Published : 19 Jun 2017, 16:56
A district court on Monday (June 19) has sentenced death penalty to five people for raping and killing a housewife in Chapai Nawabganj.
Judge of Chapai Nawabganj Woman and Child Repression Prevention Tribunal-2 Ziaur Rahman also fined the convict Tk 1 lakh each.
The death row convicts are- Jibon, Ketab, Alamgir, Nurul Islam and Jenarul. All of them are hailing from Shibganj upazila of the district.
The court passed the order in presence of the convicts and also acquitted six others in the case as the prosecution was failed to produce enough evidence against them.
According to the case statement, on April 20 in 2014, one of the convict Jibon allured Manira Begum from his house by promising to marry her in Biswanathpur area of Shibganj upazila.
Later Jibon with assistance of four other convicts killed Manira after raping her in a nearby corn field. Deceased’s mother Sulekha Begum filed a case with Shibganj police station.
- Most viewed
- Hillary slams Trump’s ‘dangerous’ war of words with North Korea
- 18 October Deaths
- 18 October Births
- 18 October Events
- Hair loss drug taken by Trump may cut prostate cancer risk
- Speaker for playing effective role in solving Rohingya crisis
- Teenage girl’s body exhumed for fresh autopsy in Panchagarh
- Dhaka 7th worst megacity for women: Poll
- Car bomb kills Maltese journalist who exposed Panama paper link
- Sharapova triumphs in Tianjin opener
- Staying in shape may make you live longer
- Safa takes a break from TV series
- Hormone therapy ‘safe’ for women with migraine?
- Samsung Electronics CEO resigns
- 15 October Events
- Rivals accused in cases over attack on Sajeda’s motorcade
- 15 October Deaths
- Oscars board expels producer Harvey Weinstein from Academy amid sexual assault allegations