Pope to visit Bangladesh, Myanmar on Rohingya mission
Published : 11 Oct 2017, 16:47
Pope Francis will visit Myanmar and Bangladesh next month on a six-day mission, it was announced from the Vatican City on Tuesday, reports Gulf Today.
The Pope is likely to meet their political and religious leaders and raise the issue of Rohingya Muslims who fled Myanmar persecution, according to the report.
Francis will fly to Bangladesh on 30 November.
However, he is scheduled to set off on 26 November, his first stop being Yangon.
The report said on 28 November, the pontiff will travel to Myanmar's modern capital Naypyidaw, where he will be received by president Htin Kyaw and meet the country's civilian leader and Nobel peace laureate Aung San Suu Kyi.
Suu Kyi has drawn international criticism for failing to stop or condemn violence in Myanmar's Rakhine state, where over half a million minority Rohingya Muslims have fled a deadly army crackdown since 25 August, wrote Gulf Today.
Francis, who has decried the persecution of the Rohingya, is expected to raise their plight during his visit to Myanmar.
On 29 November, Francis will celebrate mass at the Kyaikkasan Ground stadium in Yangon before holding meetings with Buddhist monks and later with the country's bishops at St Mary's cathedral, the report said.
In Bangladesh, on 30 November, Francis will meet president Abdul Hamid and give an address after visiting the National Martyr's Memorial monument honouring those killed in the country's 1971 war of independence, the report said.
On 1 December, Francis will celebrate an open-air mass in Dhaka's Suhrawardy Udyan Park before holding meetings with premier Sheikh Hasina, Bangladeshi bishops and other faith leaders.
On 2 December, Francis will wrap up his trip with a visit to a home run by the Missionaries of Charity of Mother Teresa and address priests, religious seminarians and novices.
Source: Prothom Alo
- Most viewed
- Are smoothies good for your diet? Here’s what experts have to say
- Ending the option of carrying a child is about taking control of the body
- Facebook, Twitter not affecting face-to-face contact with friends
- Tinder’s new feature to give more power to women
- Why you can’t get enough of your favourite songs
- How asthma may affect your chances of pregnancy
- Recipe: Shahi Paneer, simply delicious
- Sara Ali Khan to make Bollywood debut with Ranveer Singh?
- ‘Descendants 3’ to be out in 2019
- Make everyday of your life Valentine’s Day with your sweetheart
- Invest in girls, women: UN chief
- Prime Minister to meet Pope today
- Man to die for killing wife in Netrakona
- Adore the feel of feminism with payals
- Oru Adaar Love special teaser starring Priya Prakash is out (video)
- ‘Saudi women should not have to wear abaya robes’
- 11 February Births
- Pahela Falgun brings colour in life