Canadian minister calls on Speaker Dr Shirin Sharmin Chaudury
Published : 24 Nov 2017, 12:06
The visiting Canadian International Development Affairs Minister Marie Claude Bibeau yesterday made a courtesy call on Jatiya Sangsad (JS) Speaker Dr Shirin Sharmin Chaudury at her office here.
During the meeting, they discussed different issues of bilateral interest, said an official release.
The issues included the recently held 63rd Commonwealth Parliamentary Conference (CPC) in Dhaka, Rohingya crisis, Sustainable Development Goals and women empowerment.
Chaudhury said Bangladesh has excellent relations with Canada. She expressed her gratefulness to the Canadian Parliament for sending a delegation to the 63rd CPC.
Bibeau extended her congratulations to Bangladesh for holding the conference successfully, the release added.
She said Bangladesh made a rare example of humanity by giving shelter to the Rohingyas, who were forcibly displaced from Myanmar.
She said the persecution on the Rohingyas is a crime against humanity.
She assured that the Canadian government will stay with Bangladesh to implement the five-point proposal given by Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina at the United Nations General Assembly to solve the Rohingya crisis.
Bibeau said the Canadian government has already given 25 million dollars for the overall development of repressed Rohingya women and children.
Chaudhury thanked to the Canadian government for assisting the Rohingya people, the release added.
Canadian High Commissioner to Bangladesh Benoit Pr,fontaine and senior officials concerned were present during the meeting.
- Most viewed
- British PM’s trade envoy Rushanara in city
- Housewife gang-raped in Chattogram
- 22 July Events
- 22 July Births
- 22 July Deaths
- Want to work for people until death: Prime Minister
- Rabindra-Nazrul Jayanti celebrated in London
- People stream to Suhrawardy Udyan for Hasina's reception
- Temperature may fall by (1-2)°C over country
- ‘We’re on top of the world anyways’: Croatia’s president
- Use jute bags, break up with plastics: Prime Minister
- AL to hold mass reception to Prime Minister today
- France crowned World Cup 2018 champions after beating Croatia
- Bangladeshi Sharmin wins Commonwealth recognition
- British PM’s trade envoy Rushanara due today
- HSC, equivalent exams results tomorrow
- World Cup Pussy Riot pitch intruders jailed for 15 days
- 'I had to make my kidnapper fall in love with me': Chloe Ayling