Khaleda Zia jailed for 5 years, Tarique 10yrs
Published : 08 Feb 2018, 14:49
BNP Chairperson Khaleda Zia has been jailed for five years after she was found guilty in the Zia Orphanage Trust corruption case.
Her elder son and BNP’s Vice-Chairman Tarique Rahman and four others have been given 10 years in the case and a fine of Tk 2.10 crore each in the politically significant case ahead of the parliamentary election.
Judge Md Akhtaruzzaman of the Special Court-5 in Dhaka sentenced Khaleda to rigorous imprisonment and said the shorter term was for “her health and social status”.
- Most viewed
- Simple ways to protect lips during summer
- PM left Dhaka for Australia to join the Global Summit of Women
- Six-year-old girl raped in Bogura
- Supporting women to get priority in intellectual property law: Amu
- Sheikh Hasina leaves for Australia today on three-day visit
- Address human rights concerns, urge Asean MPs in open letter
- Mother, daughter killed in Moulvibazar fire
- 26 April Deaths
- 26 April Births
- PM returns home from London
- Queen tips Prince Charles to follow her as Commonwealth head
- PM calls for Commonwealth’s comprehensive reform
- PM exchanges greetings with British Queen
- Amorous couples, sex workers whipped in Indonesia's Aceh
- 3 resident students of DU hall brought back
- Husband kills wife for dowry
- Ostrich chicks, gold ornaments seized in Satkhira
- Science Says: Amount of straws, plastic pollution is huge